Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few pics of the Anubis statue builds.
These statues didn't cost anything since we got the cardboard and styrofoam for free. After the Sphynx build , I decide to make the Anubis' the same way.
These stand about 8-9 feet high....or rather...sit.
I got as far as finishing the whole skeleton including arms and hands but don't have pics of that yet.
The thrones are made out of 1x2 scrap lumber and will be clad in something...not sure what yet.

Next step is paper mache the statues and make their headdresses.

The styrofoam heads are pieces of styrofoam glued together and cut with a homebuilt styrofoam cutter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
WOW! Those look absolutely amazing! I love the shape of the head, it matches the classic shape perfectly! Cant wait to see those puppies (yeah, pun intended, even though they are jackals!:p) with some meat on their skeletons.
Are you going to have them with MM skirt-ish clothes (I am not sure exactly what they are called, but he is always pictured in it), or will they go naked?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words.
They're not gonna be covered in MM since they'll be sitting indoors.
After papier mache-ing them , I will spray on some glue and cover them with saw dust to make them look more like stone. So , they will be sand-colored all the way .
They will have the skirts on but those will blend in with the rest.
These statues are lightweight , you can lift them up with one hand and I'd like to keep it like that .

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the thrones . I might build them up to make them look a little more fancy or just cover up the sides and make them look like a stone block. I think I'll go with the second thought.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice, great idea with the sawdust too! I would have never thought of that:). I dont know if this is just my opinion, but I think the whole thing looking like stone would be cool, but even if you made the throne part look like gold, with oversized costume jewels to accentuate the statue's purpose. Either way I think it will look great, I cant wait for some pics of the rest of the progress:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Beautiful and lightweight- my idea of the perfect indoor prop!
Eagerly awaiting more pics of the Anubis twins.

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Wow blown away but these guys! An Egyptian tomb raider theme is one of the themes I use for my haunt. Can't wait to see your project take shape. This is awe inspiring. Thanks for the great tutorial. The pics are so helpful understanding how you are constructing them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the nice words.

I started the paper mache part of the process.
This is as far as I got. Almost done with the first layer of the first statue.
I will have to mache the headdresses afterwards to make sure I can get these statues out of my shop without damaging them.

Here are some updated pics...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looking better & better as they come along. It's great to have pics showing the progress being made.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Awesome progress! I think it will look great with the stone throne, heck, it already looks great! Cant wait to see how they turn out, the ToTs will be blown away:) (As if they werent going to be in the first place!:p)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts