Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever used this controller and how easy is it to program?
Also how well does it perform? Is there a huge learning process for it? I purchased the Starter Kit and it pretty much comes complete, except for some needed files that I downloaded. Any input would be appreciated. EFX-TEK :: Prop-SX Controller

·
Registered
522 Posts
That one does not use BASIC - it uses SX/B programming language, or you can use Brookshire VSA to control servos with it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used the Prop-SX and VSA to control my 3-axis skulls. I think the programming language would be very difficult for beginners, but not impossible with the excellent support staff at EFX-TEK. Being familiar with Assembly language programming will make learning the language easier.

As far as the power of the Prop-SX. It is the only controller that EFX-TEK sells
that is capable of "true" multitasking.

Here is a video of my skulls:

YouTube - GSM Haunt Productions 2008 Sneak Peek

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to all thanks, I am by no means a programmer or a computer geek. I am just trying to make the best made skull out there move and talk. I just want to learn the basics on this board, I am going to use VSA along with the SX. I am not sure about code at all or if I even need to know about it. Way over my head.

gmacted, Great job! I will be doing a similar routine with multiple skulls. Did you use this option
Prop-SX - 8 Servos plus 8 Digital Outs with VSA, Your skulls are crying for led dimming eyes to compliment your routine.

Bradbaun, I don't want to sound dumb but what is basic and language mean?

MM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well to all thanks, I am by no means a programmer or a computer geek. I am just trying to make the best made skull out there move and talk. I just want to learn the basics on this board, I am going to use VSA along with the SX. I am not sure about code at all or if I even need to know about it. Way over my head.

Jon at EFX-TEK can help you with the code, he is the master. I met him at the Midwest Haunters show and was very impressed. He knows everything about programming and the hardware capabilities (he used to work for Parallax).

G

·
0 Posts
Dont get twisted on the thought of having to know assembly language. The SX/B software uses BASIC commands. Push the button and SX/B converts your BASIC program to ASSEMBLY which is what is actually downloaded to the PropSX.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
True, which is why they (EFTek) offers the free compiler. My question is, if you control the thing using VSA, does it store the VSA program or is it tethered to a PC just like any other servo controller board? In other words, after programming the servos in VSA, can the board "stand alone" like a RAPU?

·
Registered
234 Posts
True, which is why they (EFTek) offers the free compiler. My question is, if you control the thing using VSA, does it store the VSA program or is it tethered to a PC just like any other servo controller board? In other words, after programming the servos in VSA, can the board "stand alone" like a RAPU?
As of right now my skulls are tethered to a PC via RS-232. The Prop-SX uses interrupts to read the RS-232 port and update the servos positions. The Prop-SX does have internal memory that could be used to store the VSA routine, but you would then need an external sound device such as a V2music to store the sound file. Sychronization would be the tricky part. I think it's possible, I just haven't gotten around to try it yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
gmacted, Great job! I will be doing a similar routine with multiple skulls. Did you use this option
Prop-SX - 8 Servos plus 8 Digital Outs with VSA, Your skulls are crying for led dimming eyes to compliment your routine.

MM
Thanks for the compliment.

That is the program I used.

If you end up using the Prop-SX make sure you also buy the 50 MHz oscillator. You'll need to install it in the Prop-SX to get the program to work.

Dimming eyes would be nice!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prop-sx is great

My whole haunt last year ( front yard show) ran off one Prop-SX ( with SC-200 boards flapping the jaws) along with a few other EFX-tek boards.

Check out:
YouTube - 2008 Halloween Kenton Avenue Graveyard Daytime

and here's all the haunt electronics :
YouTube - Kenton Avenue Graveyard 2008 Controller

You'll see the SX in there.

It's a great controller and well able to run quite a few items. Programming is a step up from Prop-1 (for instance) but with the help of the EFX-TEK folks you will be well satisfied. They won't let anyone fail. Absolutely best customer service I have ever seen.

Freshly Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts