Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often there will be a thread that mentions how fun it would be if we lived in the same neighborhood and all decorated to the hilt. I have the pleasure of living not far from two other haunter friends (and forum members); lewlew from Roads End Cemetery, and Motel Sixx who does an awesome walkthrough yard haunt not much more than a mile from me. We've all visited each other's haunts and have collaborated on various projects over the years. Road's End is taking a break for a short time and our own Eerie Manor is downsizing to use less space at our home. Over the past few months, I've had discussions with Mark (lewlew) and I'm really happy to report that for the 2014 Halloween season, we'll be combining our demented minds into one great haunt effort! We spent some time recently mapping out the layout, which will be a 12x24 foot maze in our dirveway. It will have four narrow hallways with scare zones strategically placed throughout. The theme is an over run zombie research facility and the creative juices are flowing as we start to assemble props, lighting, etc. We'll begin construction on 27 new wall panels in the coming weeks and start gathering the things we'll need to make this thing come to life. I'm stoked to be working with Mark. His enthusiasm, energy and creativity are contagious and he has so many great ideas for little details, things that made Road's End a huge success for many years. I'm so looking forward to working with another haunter on this year's project, and to think, I only need to pay him in pizza, wings and beer!! If it all comes to fruition, it will be epic. We'll post updates and pics as we get started, so follow along! We figure we'll need every bit of the next three months to get it all done.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in awe. It will be amazing, no doubt.
Awesome. Can't wait to follow along!
That is awesome, be nice if I had a haunter of my equal doing a collabo, good luck!
Sounds like it could be fun. Good luck with the collaboration.
Thanks! Looking forward to what we'll come up with.

Sounds like a future pro haunt in its infancy. ???

HAVE FUN
Ya never know! We've actually discussed doing a "pro" haunt in the area at some point. Maybe when we no longer do our home haunts and can devote the time/resources to it.

Thought you were downsizing JW??? That doesnt sound like any downsizin' to me!!:D Next thing you will tell us you are closing the whole block down.;)
As lewlew said, not downsizing, just "intensifying"! Actually using less space, and just packing a whole lot into it. I'm thinking we may do this type of thing for a couple years before I actually scale way back but I'm excited to be doing this. It's going to be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Recently a young man visited us for the house tour. He had saved money over several years to make the event happen for him.
He bought a train ticket rode quite a distance, then rented a car, drove to see Ravens Grin.
He was Very happy and impressed with what he found here! He said he wants to write about his experience .
He told me how he once spent quite a sum buying new steel fence posts, he wrapped them with black plastic,making his "walls" and that was his "Haunt"!
He said he had never had So Much Fun!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first read the thread title... I was sad. I thought it meant you were not doing a yard haunt at all. I misunderstood Road's End with End of the Road. haha

This is fabulous news! That sounds like so much fun! Congratulations and best wishes on your new adventure!
Thanks Angel! You're not the first person to say they mistook Road's End for "end of the road". lol!
Mark and I are both excited to start working on this very soon.

Recently a young man visited us for the house tour. He had saved money over several years to make the event happen for him.
He bought a train ticket rode quite a distance, then rented a car, drove to see Ravens Grin.
He was Very happy and impressed with what he found here! He said he wants to write about his experience .
He told me how he once spent quite a sum buying new steel fence posts, he wrapped them with black plastic,making his "walls" and that was his "Haunt"!
He said he had never had So Much Fun!
Gym, I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with my thread, although all of your posts somehow promote/mention your haunted house. Just an observation.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,102 Posts
So glad to hear you are doing a haunt JDub - I mistook it too :) Don't know about making haunt walls/supports with metal fence posts, would think that would get too expensive.

Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the haunt build begins. Spent 5 hours this past weekend framing up most of the 28 wall panels we'll be using, along with getting a start on the drop panel scare. It was a productive day.

We'll post periodic updates as the build progresses. The building we have to work in is a 4000 sq foot warehouse that we can set the entire structure up in as we build. This will allow us to essentially get all the props/lighting/etc... perfectly placed before Halloween night. Then we just have to move it to my place the week of Halloween. It will eliminate a lot of the guess work. Thanks for following along!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow!! Looking great - does it feel daunting? Any others helping?
Thanks MM. I think starting now will make it a lot more manageable. We have helpers, mostly teenagers, but they are excited, willing to learn, and can do some of the basic stuff like screwing plywood to the frames. We'll really use them when it comes to setting up and painting/detailing each of the rooms. I think the daunting part will be tearing it down and moving it to my place, which is only about a mile away but it will involve several trips and a couple of trucks. As always, the screams and laughs on Halloween night will make it all worthwhile!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our second build day was very productive. We began erecting the walls and got about one third of it done. So cool to be able to set it all up indoors and be able to see how it all fits together. Once the structure is complete, we'll begin the painting, placement of props and lights and get the little details done.

The entire haunt will have a roof, which will serve three purposes; keep us all dry in the event of rain, help tie the whole thing together and make for a very stable build, and allow us to hang things from the ceiling like lights/props/etc..
The wood we're using to skin the frames was free! It's factory cut 1'x4'x3/8 plywood. We got 450 pieces and there were over 2000 of them for the taking, all in dry storage. I think we'll go back for more in case we expand at some point!

·
Registered
202 Posts
As of last weekend, the main structure is complete. We've started to move a few pieces in such as the cabinet and desk for
the office scares. Put up some white paneling for the
autopsy/ feeding room, and framed out our cage scene and plexiglass scare.

Now it's time to give the whole thing a coat of paint. Mostly black
and grey for the inside and maybe some o.d. green for the visible
portions outside.

We'll be working on doorways and making the outside visible potions look
a bit more military. A lot left to do but it feels good to see the
dimensions come off the paper and into real life.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the next couple weeks, we hope to have it painted and then begin to place all the props and lighting so we can have it all assembled as it will be on Halloween night. We need 12 actors to make it work well and we have ample help lined up again this year. Since only two of the rooms are prop heavy, we can get those out of the way fairly soon. We have pretty much all we need in terms of props. Painting the interior halls and ceilings will take some time. Most of the walk through will be pitch dark so we only have to focus on lighting the two prop rooms, the drop panel hall and the window slam scare. I'm on vacation for two weeks starting Sunday so will be spending lot of time there working on this stuff. As lewlew said, it's great to see it come to life!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts