Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
OMG, I love this idea! Yet another thing to be added to my prop list for 2014... I decided to post some pictures from the article here so everyone could see. Is it bad I'm really excited to try and make this prop?

ry2.jpg

ry3.jpg

Here's my question though, would using monster mud work rather than plaster? Would it hold up better? Ok, that was 2 questions, I know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, got my burlap and plaster of paris today. Already have a plastic drop cloth. Now all I need is a human form to stand in position for around 10 to 20 minutes.

Any takers? LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, got my burlap and plaster of paris today. Already have a plastic drop cloth. Now all I need is a human form to stand in position for around 10 to 20 minutes.

Any takers? LOL
How much is the gig. LOL. Just have the say I absolutely love the reapers. I've seen several myself, I want to make one too. The one I want to make would stand about 7 feet, I think that would give it an overpowering look. Just enough to scare myself LOL. Good luck with yours, can't wait to see pics

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
They look great, this is a cool idea and a fairly simple prop to make and add to the display. The nice thing here also is that they could be added to an area where room is a concern. Just to spice up a certain spot a bit.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I really like the look of these.
If you make one. Be sure to take some pics , maybe a tutorial?
The light adds a lot. Makes it look more hollow. Very creepy.
Thanks for posting this

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I just did a search for monster mud reapers.
I read one tutorial, it took two days to dry out.
I think a human model looks more realistic.
But how can you get the dry time down to be able to use a human model?

·
Typing Away
3,515 Posts
To use a human model and keep the dry time down would be to use spray foam but that would cost some money for the tank. But you should able to make a few from the tank of foam I think.

·
Registered
735 Posts
A mannequin may work instead of a live model. They are pretty sturdy and you can get "retired" ones from what I hear for pretty cheap. Plus you can then use it to make statues for tombstones thus doing double duty for one price. Just a thought.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A mannequin may work instead of a live model. They are pretty sturdy and you can get "retired" ones from what I hear for pretty cheap. Plus you can then use it to make statues for tombstones thus doing double duty for one price. Just a thought.
I actually thought of doing that, but unfortunately around here the cheapest ones go for around $100. I did make myself a PVC frame for a ghost I've used for the last couple of years and draped it in a sheet. With some minor modifications, I can put some braces on the arms leading down to the ground for added support.

I think it will work for what I need. However, I do have a baby due in like 16 days, so this prop may have to take a back seat for a while. I can't wait to try it out though!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts