Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this article today about a closed and abandoned Disney World park. I think I had heard about it years ago but don't think I saw photos of it before now. There were actually two areas closed down, Disney's River Country and Discovery Island. Figured since members enjoy abandoned houses, hospitals and such this would have an appeal too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3501682/The-creepiest-place-Earth-inside-abandoned-Disney-World-park-one-two-close.html

Anyone ever visit the Park areas when it was open?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,444 Posts
Cool pics! I remember going to River Country with my church youth group back around 1977. I don't remember much about the park, though. I think it was part of Disney's Fort Wilderness campground. I had a much better time when we went to the newly opened "Wet 'N Wild" when it opened in Orlando.
I actually thought River Country was still open. LOL

I'm surprised Disney hasn't reclaimed the area and opened it as it sits as a $200 a night resort. "The Grand Water-Borne Illness Adventure Resort". :)

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was at Disney World back in the mid-70s and then again in the early 80s and lastly in the early 90s. For the life of me though I don't recall this area. Might be because it was far off from the main Disney Castle section that we never did make it over to that side. The photos are great. Kind of reminds me of something that could have been from that ABC TV show set in the Amazon? where a family was trying to locate their explorer-researcher husband/father who had mysteriously disappeared (anyone remember this show?).

Spanish Moss on trees is always creepy to me...overgrown and abandoned "jungle", walkways and structures...eerie. Loved the abandoned office with the Amex., a snapshot in time. Kind of surprised the area wasn't cleared out completely but that's part of what makes the photos so interesting. The pool area there must be teaming with all kinds of algae and stuff. Kind of jealous of those of you who have a wooded area in your yard to work with to create a creepy walk thru. I'm definitely going to remember how the abandoned office looked for when I do my zombie overrunned military base office. Would like to incorporate some of that look.

Did a bit of research on Discovery Island and it has a interesting past, even before Disney bought the property. After Disney closed it down, apparently Disney considered doing something with the guys that created the computer game "Myst" to create an island like that. I spent many hours playing that game and think that would have been a cool island to build there.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, speaking of photos at nighttime there, I came across this guy's blog. He and friends made a covert landing project at night to Discovery Island out of their visits to Disney World. Fun read, and the photos are way better than the previous article's! Enjoy! And to one of the commenters who said gators aren't much of a worry, well I recall the recent story in the news of two burglars in Florida who were hiding from the police after almost getting caught in a home robbery. One hid in someone's back yard and got nabbed, the other thought he'd hide in the water and they found him in one of the gators in the lake later the next day.

http://shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

The following board forum area, mentioned in the above blog's comments although not a linking url there, covers the abandoned River Country with a map and lots of daytime photos. In case you miss the url reading the blog, here it is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344523 Page 4 has a beautiful photo of the landing area on Discovery Island while still in operation. The trees and follage were so lush.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Woah, not the kind of nighttime pictures I wanted to see before going to sleep, haha.!Too creepy... I wonder why they closed down the animal part of the park too. If it was just the water park portion that was the issue, why get rid of the animals and education part?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Woah, not the kind of nighttime pictures I wanted to see before going to sleep, haha.!Too creepy... I wonder why they closed down the animal part of the park too. If it was just the water park portion that was the issue, why get rid of the animals and education part?
Animal kingdom spelled the end for discovery island. The two parks were also separate entities. The article tries to imply that River Country was closed because of the amoeba. Only one case was ever reported from River Country, which remained open for 21 years after the incident.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey, speaking of photos at nighttime there, I came across this guy's blog. He and friends made a covert landing project at night to Discovery Island out of their visits to Disney World. Fun read, and the photos are way better than the previous article's! Enjoy! And to one of the commenters who said gators aren't much of a worry, well I recall the recent story in the news of two burglars in Florida who were hiding from the police after almost getting caught in a home robbery. One hid in someone's back yard and got nabbed, the other thought he'd hide in the water and they found him in one of the gators in the lake later the next day.

http://shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

The following board forum area, mentioned in the above blog's comments although not a linking url there, covers the abandoned River Country with a map and lots of daytime photos. In case you miss the url reading the blog, here it is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344523 Page 4 has a beautiful photo of the landing area on Discovery Island while still in operation. The trees and follage were so lush.
They SWAM it!? Heccccck no. I love Disney and Fort Wilderness but would *never* swim in that water. Insane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts