Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

So I took out the Ecto-1 prop and it was still damp from last year (it rained on Halloween GRR) and it was a dead duck. I let it air out all night and it completely dried out so I tried it tonight and it was dead.

I thought it was the transformer but the led lights are still working just not the fan.

My question is what to do. Any testing I can do or steps to take?

Here are some pics. I know the lighting and fan power go through that orange thing but I haven't opened it yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unplug, disassemble, check for seized bearings and open thermal protector.

May get lucky with WD-40 on the bearings to loosen them up then follow that up with some oil.

If the thermal fuse has corroded then you will need to unwrap the paper on the windings to access it. They can be purchased from electronics supply stores. Make sure you get an identical fuse, they come in a variety of shapes sizes and ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took off the covering and found this:

One of the negative wires was off and there isn't anything obvious showing where it was.

@pjones Am I correct that the only reason this little circuit board exists is to power the lights and if so could I bypass it and run the fan directly and just accept no led lights and see if that can bypass the problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took off the covering and found this:

One of the negative wires was off and there isn't anything obvious showing where it was.

@pjones Am I correct that the only reason this little circuit board exists is to power the lights and if so could I bypass it and run the fan directly and just accept no led lights and see if that can bypass the problem?
It looks like that power supply is matched to operate that fan without any further components. If it is just the capacitor and, what look to be, ferrite beads, then I am guessing they are using that to smooth out the power supply and remove interference created by the motor that is operating on the same circuit so the LED lights don’t flicker.

If you are inclined to do so you could try cleaning up the circuit board with a solution of about 1/3 acetone and 2/3 of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Use a tooth brush and clean it up. That would let you assess the damage to the board. Looks salvageable and those parts could be purchased off the shelf for $5-10 at your local electronics store. You could probably even buy a small blank board circuit board and use wire to replace the traces while keeping within that price point. If the damage isn’t too bad then you may get away with redoing the solder joints, but I usually find it’s the leads that corrode and if that’s the case then replacement is the best option.

In short, doing away with the circuit board and plugging directly to the fan, without the lights, from what I can see it looks like it will be fine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like that power supply is matched to operate that fan without any further components. If it is just the capacitor and, what look to be, ferrite beads, then I am guessing they are using that to smooth out the power supply and remove interference created by the motor that is operating on the same circuit so the LED lights don’t flicker.

If you are inclined to do so you could try cleaning up the circuit board with a solution of about 1/3 acetone and 2/3 of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Use a tooth brush and clean it up. That would let you assess the damage to the board. Looks salvageable and those parts could be purchased off the shelf for $5-10 at your local electronics store. You could probably even buy a small blank board circuit board and use wire to replace the traces while keeping within that price point. If the damage isn’t too bad then you may get away with redoing the solder joints, but I usually find it’s the leads that corrode and if that’s the case then replacement is the best option.

In short, doing away with the circuit board and plugging directly to the fan, without the lights, from what I can see it looks like it will be fine.

Thank you very much for your insight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts