Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think it's too expensive... you should try to make one or send them a message with a lower offer, if no one is buying it at that price maybe they will accept an offer!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
If it were an actual vintage piece, I'd pay $70. But who knows, someone may see it & think it's worth it. I don't get the pricing either unless this person is a well known artist in some part of the world.

I HOPE they get that much money for it. Let us know how long it stays up or if it gets re-listed at a lower price.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yeah like rciag said...if it were an actual vintage one then yes...but this looks like a new homemade original. I wouldn't pay it...but I've been surprised with what people will pay for things in the past!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I don't think the price is unreasonable. I wonder what kind of hourly wage that would work out to be, once you factor in cost of materials (probably not much in this case) actual craft time and the time and effort it takes to ship. Not to mention once Ebay takes their cut.

For me, it's priced a bit high, because it's not really the kind of thing I go for. But if someone is making these to supplement their income, they need to build in some margin. Some people think art or craft products should basically be sold for roughly the cost of materials - that's way undervaluing the time and creative effort. But that margin means it may take a little longer to find the right buyer.

Sometimes people have more money than they do talent (or in a lot of case, time). This isn't a bad thing. I wish I knew who they were. ;)

It seems like a fair price, a little on the high side, but they don't seem to be misrepresenting anything. I think they should push it to something a bit more unique since that's kinda the point of handmade goods, but then maybe it would deviate too far from the vintage look. I hope they find a buyer who considers it a steal and they're both happy in the end.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think the price is unreasonable. I wonder what kind of hourly wage that would work out to be, once you factor in cost of materials (probably not much in this case) actual craft time and the time and effort it takes to ship. Not to mention once Ebay takes their cut.

For me, it's priced a bit high, because it's not really the kind of thing I go for. But if someone is making these to supplement their income, they need to build in some margin. Some people think art or craft products should basically be sold for roughly the cost of materials - that's way undervaluing the time and creative effort. But that margin means it may take a little longer to find the right buyer.

Sometimes people have more money than they do talent (or in a lot of case, time). This isn't a bad thing. I wish I knew who they were. ;)

It seems like a fair price, a little on the high side, but they don't seem to be misrepresenting anything. I think they should push it to something a bit more unique since that's kinda the point of handmade goods, but then maybe it would deviate too far from the vintage look. I hope they find a buyer who considers it a steal and they're both happy in the end.
I make dolls and I once worked my hourly wage out to $3.74 or something like that. :D :eek:

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I make dolls and I once worked my hourly wage out to $3.74 or something like that. :D :eek:
That's kinda in the ballpark of what I was expecting. Waaaaay up in the cheap seats but in the ballpark. ;) And that's great if you get joy out of what you're doing, not so good if you're fighting to make ends meet.

On the other hand, I don't think there's anything wrong with slapping something up on Ebay that you've made and you're proud of at a pretty steep price, as long as you're being clear on what you're selling. And then if it happens to sell, and you make someone happy AND you get a nice pay day, it's win-win. And if it doesn't sell, and you're OK with that, no loss.

I think it's different if your buying a knick-knack at Home Goods for $5 and trying to pass it off as a $100 value on ebay. That's pretty creepy.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Doesn't matter how many hours you put in if your skill level isn't up there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts