Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have re-located and enlarged the spiderweb area of our haunted trail this year, which is going to be short of spiders if we don't make or buy some. so i decided to try to make some.
spider area:

here's what we used to create the spiders

that's 2 sizes of styrofoam balls, round toothpicks, black pipecleaners, chopsticks, hot glue gun and glue sticks, scissors. (used but not shown: cup hooks and flat black spray paint)
put a dab of hot glue onto the round toothpick

and insert it into the small styrofoam ball

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
then put a dab of hot glue onto the other end of the toothpick

and attach the large styrofoam ball

press them firmly together until you feel the glue take hold

using the scissors, cut the pipecleaners in two (i don't have a pic of this step)
and then use the pointed end of the chopstick to poke 4 holes on one side of the spiders body, about an inch deep

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fill each of the leg holes with hot glue

and insert one of the halved pipecleaners

when that glue firms, do the other side the same way

a little creative bending, and they are basic spider shapes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the spiders have to be able to hang in the haunted trail, so i found some cup hooks i had from another project. they were brass colored, so i dusted them flat black

add a bead of hot glue to the threads on the pinched shut flat black cup hooks

then screw them into the spiders' heinies

i put a bead of hot glue around the hooks to hold it firmer.

this is a continuing project, so look for an update when i get them finished. :)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Great job on the spiders and the how-to. Thats the way to do it...when you dont have, just go build it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
time to make them look fuzzy!

i don't know about y'all, but fuzzy spiders are the scariest to me, so mine are gonna be fuzzy!

i used the How To Haunt Your House moss method, dryer lint, acrylic craft paint and white glue to create their fuzz.

my popcorn bowl will never be the same! :D

put a good-sized puff of dryer lint into the bowl, add acrylic craft paint and a dollop of white glue.

mix it up well

and apply to the spider, pressing it down firmly.

i find it's best to do half of each spider one day, and the other half the next-it's less messy that way. use some string to hang them by their cup hooks to dry overnight.

more to come!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
A nice use for dryer lint! And to think I've been throwing this stuff out all these years! I could of have built Spiega by now! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying these. I am going to us e some black and white "eyelash" yarn instead of the dryer lint, just because I want them a little more furry. Great easy prop for us beginners!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's a GREAT idea, ScardyCat! i think cotton balls might work pretty well, too, but i haven't tried it yet.
maybe when i run out of dryer lint. :) the laundry just never seems to end around here! :eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you just leave the spiders white? What can they be painted with to make them black? Thanks! Michelle
mix up some white glue, black acrylic paint and dryer lint. press it onto the spiders firmly and allow to dry well. it looks like fur, and it's cheap and easy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts