Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've dedicated my basement to The Shining this year. I wanted to recreate the Jack Torrance death scene. I love how it turned out and wanted to share the method because it was cheap and easy to do. You can do this for any head and shoulders character you would like to create. Check it out!

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was done in our basement window well. First I took out all the disgusting spiders and webs. Yuck! I took my Christmas tree branches and laid them up against the window well. I also placed some branches in the locking hooks above. With those in, I could lay a few more branches in between to f ill in the space. I added red Christmas lights because I have a shining elevator next to this and wanted to continue the red color theme.

For the snow I took the stuffing out of an old stuffed animal. It was already shredded in small pieces which made it easy to decorate.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now on to the Jack build. This required 3 white poster boards. I printed out a close up of Jack's head, making it as close to size as an 8-1/2 x 11 page. I adhesive sprayed this onto a piece of cardboard and cut out a torso.

Right now he's one dimensional. To make him three dimensional, I cut out 4 strips of poster board about equal to Jack's neckline. Then I cut out a side view of his torso. These were all identical. I cut slots to fit them all together. When I had them put together, I took the ends of poster board and stapled them together. Now I have a three dimensional torso to realistically puff out his clothing.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now it's time to dress Jack. I hot glued a piece of black material so the white poster board would not show. I grabbed a shirt with a collar to put over it. Then I took some red material and cut out a slot to fit his head through. I cut down the middle a few inches so the collar could show. You don't need to buy any clothing for Jack because he's mostly under the snow anyway.

This same method would work well for any character when you want to use the actor's actual face, not a dummy. This could sit on a table top, by a front window, really wherever. So simple!

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that I used Christmas snow blankets (that you would use for a Christmas village display) to wrap around the bottom of the display. This create the drift of snow and covered Jack's torso. I pulled this apart to spread out over his collar and shoulders.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
The Shining is one of my favorite horror movies. You really brought Jack to life...or his death to life I guess better said. Clever idea using the window well space too.

If you really want to give someone a scare, add some curtains to the window and when everyone is there ask someone if they'll open the curtain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts