Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
A very good idea. Looks great! Let me ask a dumb question, (I was an Infantry NCO for 10 years...I 'm not afraid to ask dumb questions) Can you use a band saw to cut the pvc pipe or would it "chip out" and leave rough edges?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A very good idea. Looks great! Let me ask a dumb question, (I was an Infantry NCO for 10 years...I 'm not afraid to ask dumb questions) Can you use a band saw to cut the pvc pipe or would it "chip out" and leave rough edges?
I have no idea...give it a try and see how it goes.

BTW: I just tried making some bigger links out of ABS pipe instead of PVC. Works just as well, and has the added benefit of not needing paint, since ABS is already black. YAY!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not made these... but think that when I do I will try to cut the pvc on a diagonal to give the link more of a natural link look...longer .. rather than same as width. Thanks for post. For next year. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have not made these... but think that when I do I will try to cut the pvc on a diagonal to give the link more of a natural link look...longer .. rather than same as width. Thanks for post. For next year. :)
By all means, give it a try...I did, and found that they resembled slices of sausage or maybe thin penne pasta, so I went back to straight cuts. ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've used compound mitre saws (with plywood blade) and jig saws (with fine tooth metal blade) without any problems. Comes out nice and smooth. Just remember to change the blades before using on other material. Also, remove any PVC "dust" left on the blades after cutting or it might stick to the teeth. Also, go slow, let the blade do it's job and it won't chip the PVC.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love this idea! I am working on next year already. (Wow that comes as a surprise because we all wait till October 1st right?) I took a 10 foot length of underground 1.5 conduit I had left over from a grabber I made and at first started on the miter/chop saw. It was too strong and shattered the 1/4 links. So I slowed down did not cut through and finished with a hacksaw. That ended quick I then got the smart idea to set my fence on the table saw to 1/4 and stood off to the side and cut like 10 ft in about 5 minutes.... of course I had to chase them around the shop later but that is why we have kids... :) Anyway the links are so strong at that size I have to stick needlenose in the ring to pull it apart to stick the next link in and in one night I cranked out 8 ft of chain. At a $1.29 a length of conduit even the wife can't complain! I am using it to wrap around a culdron and then suspend 3 8 ft lengths off of that and hang it from a tree. Let me tell you one 8 ft length attached to the chain around the neck of the kettle is strong enough to hold so when I balance out the weight it will work great.

I like the bias idea someone had on here but the I think the round rings really look like "old" chain and even the cut in the link with a pair of diagonal cutters makes a nice touch.

Does anyone know if liquid nails works on PVC? I would like to make the shackle for around the branch with the ring to hold the chain, and I was thinking I could gob on the Liquid Nails and take a popsicle stick and indent the glue to look like a weld spot? Any ideas?

Thanks again for the awesome chain idea!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For gluing the PVC, just buy a can of PVC cement. This should be in the plumbing section of any hardware store. It will make a permanent connection, as it melts and fuses the cut ends.

Eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
I loved the simplicity of this! I had some chain I had bought but not worked into anything yet. I also had some 2 inch laying around from making candles. I quickly fashioned some shackles for my skelly that helped him in his desire to accessorize a little! The only funny thing was when my helper asked how I got the shackles on him... Apparently, he had forgotten that removing the hands and feet from a skelly is not considered dismemberment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you very much for posting this OP. I made 4 chains in about 15 minutes. I used my miter saw and multi-max tool and these were a breeze to make after I made a little jig. I need to paint these and attach to the 4" piece.

Pic 1 - I set up a little stop on the miter so I didn't have to measure 1/4" for each cut, that would have taken a long time.

Pic 2 - I screwed a back stop so I could easily cut the slices. Tried to do manual and thought this would take too long to

Pic 3 - What was produced in 15 minutes..

Side note this website is awesome, especially for us people with limited skill and imagination :).

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7753/0815101908.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1784/0815101909.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7182/0815101922.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Glad it was useful!
You're a lot more precise than I've been with it. ;)
I'm sure with a little paint, you'll be really happy with the end result...please do post more pics and let us have a peek, ok? :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
$1.00 has 2 foot chain looks just like that. I wouldnt spend time doing what you did looks good though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The black ABS plastic pipes would be very easy to use since its already black, but which kinds of glue would work best for good bonding?

Also if some of you need your PVC chains to be stronger, stick a shish kabob skewer into the PVC cement, and drag them into the gaps of the chain links to glue them shut. Just in case you use these chains to actually pull on props, like trap doors or guillotines or whatever.

EDIT: Wow, what a quick Google search will do for you...

Okay, so I guess the trick is to melt ABS to glue ABS materials together! So save all your saw shavings from cutting the rings, melt them in a stainless steel bowl, and blob it on like hot glue.

DANG!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I can't believe I didn't think of this before....
If you want your chain links to have a more traditional shape, then heat the pvc pipe BEFORE cutting, and squash it a bit, like an oval shape.
That way, when you cut it into links, it'll look a bit more realistic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the shackle idea--but the chain thing seems like a lot of effort--especially for someone like me who is not so good with power tools. I was at Lowes and they had black plastic chain (pretty large links) for 73 cents a foot. I know if would be a little more expensive--$7.30 for ten feet, but for me for the work involved and the potential for loss of fingers...I am thinking it makes more sense to buy it ready made! Kudos for the creativity and expertise with tools!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts