Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had replied to another tut in this section regarding pipe insulation used to make easy chains, and mentioned how I used PVC pipe instead. Jaybo asked for photos, so I figgered I may as well just post a tut of my own.

Here goes.... (this is REALLY easy!)

I used my miter saw to cut 1" pvc pipe into thin slices, approx. 1/4 inch thick (you can do it easily enough with a simple hacksaw, but it's rather time-consuming). Then I spray-painted the pvc rings black and put a cut in each one using wire cutters. Link them together and you've got a quick, easy, realistic, durable chain. Cut one of the links in half with the wire cutters and glue each half-ring onto opposing sides of a wide slice of 4" pvc, connect your chains to those and now you've got a great-looking shackle.

After the shackles/chains are all painted flat black, just grab a rag & dip it lightly into brown paint. Blot off the excess, and then gently dab the rag all over the shackles/chains for a slightly rusted look.

Yer Done....

"Clap 'em in irons!!"

Hint: if you have to get the shackle(s) onto something, but the object is too big on both ends to just slide your shackle on, then use a hacksaw to cut across the 4" pvc. A quick shot of spray paint will cover the cut nicely, and now you can open the wrist/leg shackle to put it on the object.

I've made 6 shackles in about 1 hour (not including paint drying time).

The 1st pic below shows a few different shackles, some with 2 chains attached, some with only one.
The 2nd pic shows a me holding open a shackle with the cut in it to allow it to be placed on a desired object easily (in my case, it'll be a severed foot).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, gang! I'm glad you like them...it's amazing what you can do sometimes with some leftover crap laying around the garage floor, eh? (yeah, I said "eh"...Canadian to the bone, I guess. LOL)

·
Blvd FrightNight
671 Posts
dude i made a chain today (cuz im a cheapo) i had some 1 1/4 PVC around it came out great to since i need like 2 links i really didnt want to go to lowes and ask for 2 links. lol thanks man

P.S . i still have to find some 4in PVC

-BYH

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! Really good idea you got there, almost seems like real thing, but a lot less cheaper.

Do they tear off apart easily?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do they tear off apart easily?
If you mean do the links pull apart accidentally, then no, not really. It takes a bit of effort to open the rings and connect them. PVC's pretty strong, so I assume the chain could hold a bit of weight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude i made a chain today (cuz im a cheapo) i had some 1 1/4 PVC around it came out great to since i need like 2 links i really didnt want to go to lowes and ask for 2 links. lol thanks man

P.S . i still have to find some 4in PVC

-BYH
If you get a hold of some 4" pvc, and want to glue the half-rings on, I recommend thick-gel crazy glue. you can tubes of generic stuff at the dollar store. I've been going through that stuff like it was air. LOL
make sure you get thick-gel....way easier to work with and sets faster.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since it's PVC, did you need plastic paint (like Krylon) or enamel did the job?
I'd think any paint will do the job. I used regular flat spray paint...I think it was "Painter's Touch". It dries really fast, especially if you point a fan at it. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts