Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came up with this idea playing around with some pipe insulation...

You will need

Length(s) of foam pipe insulation
Sharp Knife (I use the Dollar store retractable knife)
Glue

1. Take your length of foam

2. Extend the blade on the retractable knife

3. Cut 1/4 inch pieces off the end

4. cut though one of the pieces

5. link through the two other pieces

6. continue cutting and linking pieces

From a 4 inch piece of one and half inch insulation I got an 11 inch length of chain. As this normally comes in 3ft lengths that will yield a length of chain 8ft long.

Obviously, the larger the diameter of the foam insulation the longer yield of chain you will obtain.

Finally glue the cut links so links don't come unlinked ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey that is awesome!! Thank you for the idea. So simple yet very effective.

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hot glued the ends together, which, if the glue is hot enough, melts the two ends and when cooled seems to give a greater bond :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's a great idea! It is perfect for a scene where a person is getting flogged with a chain. The plastic ones hurt after awhile and the styrofoam ones break.

Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for sharing!! I guess sometimes we try to out do ourselves and look for prop supplies at high end shops, but when I see things like this, it makes me laugh and think, well duh, why didn't I think of that?!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's a great idea! It is perfect for a scene where a person is getting flogged with a chain. The plastic ones hurt after awhile and the styrofoam ones break.

Eric
...ah, flogged with a chain. A passion of mine for all seasons! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks great - I was looking everywhere for affordable chains for my reindeer wolves! This looks like a project for :D hubby!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts