Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking through the forum I have seen several different ideas on how to mount wiper motors. I have found a way that works for me in every application that I have wanted to use a wiper motor for. It is quick, easy, and best of all it is really cheap. I have never seen another thread with this idea so here it is. I apologize in advance if someone else has posted this idea. I go to the local Lowes hardware store and buy a Pipe Rail Tie for $3.24. Using this method I can mount a wiper motor at any angle or facing any direction I want. Here is what you need:

A Pipe Rail Tie and a Wiper Motor

20150826_183630.jpg

Just loosen the Pipe Rail Tie and insert the Wiper Motor then tighten the bolt on the Pipe Rail Tie to secure the wiper motor in the Pipe Rail tie.

20150826_183734.jpg

When you are securing the wiper motor to the Pipe Rail Tie you can place the motor in any orientation you desire to run your prop.

20150826_185813.jpg 20150826_185832.jpg 20150826_185924.jpg

20150826_190043.jpg

These a just a few of the ways the motor can be secured in the motor mount or to your prop. However, this mount will not work for every wiper motor. The wiper motor can have no larger body diameter than 2 1/2". Since this is the exact size of wiper motors sold by Monster Guts and I get all my wiper motors from them this is the perfect mount for me. I hope this is useful to some of my fellow haunters.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's awesome. I have always used a similar strap to secure my wiper motors. The ones I use don't have the tightening screw underneath. But they are essentially the same as the ones you posted. I think mine are called conduit straps? I think I use either 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch conduit straps. I get them in the electrical section at Home Depot or Lowe's. I have never had an issue with them. They work great.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is a great idea, I am going to attempt to work with a wiper motor to open my coffin but I don't have a clue as far as what angle I put the metal piece from the motor to the coffin. Help

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,780 Posts
Scary Papa you always have these little pearls of wisdom. I can imagine the grand-kids sitting on your lap as you entertain them with stories of days gone by and the little subtle messages with your words of wisdom.

Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doto, Thanks. when the grandkids were a little younger they thought I was a genius with all the stuff I did for Halloween each year, even though most of it I have actually solen from others on this forum. But now....well they are getting a little older.....and unfortunately smarter...and now I am thinking they are beginning to get a little suspicious of my "geniousness". LOL

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arlita, I not quite sure what you are asking. If what you need to know is how to make the mechanical connection from the motor to the coffin lid all you have to do is make a linkage from the motor drive arm to the coffin. As the motor turns it will lift the lid through the linkage. I have this setup on my toe pincher coffin and it works well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use plumber's tape. Just bend two short pieces of it around the motor and secure/tighten with screws to the board. Not quite as elegant as the post strap but cheap and effective and what I have in hand.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Omg...really? They are in the lumber section on an end cap with the floor joist hangers and other metal wood tie hardware in the Lowes stores here.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Yeah, been using those for mounting wiper motors for a long time, they work great. Not surprised that nobody at Lowes knew where to find them; HD has the same problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts