Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I would carve SO many more pumpkins if my wrist weren't killing me halfway through scooping out the first one. I've tried tablespoons, metal serving spoons, an ice cream scoop...etc.

Does anybody know an easier way? What's the best tool for this?

Thanks for any help! I'm getting REALLY excited now!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
If you have one of the Pumpkin Masters kits, the plastic scoop provided does a pretty good job, IMO. Small sppons are tedious. A wide, slightly concave scoop works best to get the most pulp out quickly. That said, I love carving pumpkins and the time is well worth it. We normally carve about 8-10 for our display.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Steel Ice Cream Scoop advocate here. We cut the hole at the bottom of the gourd and reach down scraping from the top of the pumpkin to the base. For some reason, the lining pulls off easier this way. Plus, the bottom gets the candle (We're very traditional in this area here at the Wolfman's Haunted House) and the Jack settles down very nicely over the base. Freeze the candles before using; they'll last a long time. Try using votives, they'll still be burning noon the next day, awesome, all-night-long Jack O'Lanterns!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think i might try cutting it at the bottom instead this year. I need an easy way because ironically I, a Halloween lover, am allergic to pumpkin!! I have to wear gloves when I carve and they are a pain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am an advocate of using your hands, I just use my fingernails to scrap it out.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Set them outside and pay the neighborhood kids to have a go at it :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
it's a bit extreme, but when I have a lot of pumpkins to scoop out andI am not making pumpkin soup with the insides I use an electric drill with a large drill bit. Does it pretty quick but you also have to be careful not to get too close to the skin.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
it's a bit extreme, but when I have a lot of pumpkins to scoop out andI am not making pumpkin soup with the insides I use an electric drill with a large drill bit. Does it pretty quick but you also have to be careful not to get too close to the skin.
Alright! Extreme pumpkin scooping!! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Right on! I use a modified paint stirrer that connects to a drill. Chop off the bottom, hammered the metal to a more oval shape, welded and you're ready to go :D You can clean out a pumpkin in about 5 seconds...lol. I got the idea from a tv show a couple of years ago about this guy who carves dozens if not hundreds of pumpkins each year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
actually, I modified a $7.00 (green ware) ceramics starter kit. You can usually find them at Wal-Mart and other art supply stores: The kit contains a wooden wedged tear-drop shaped hand tool that I sanded down on the blade side to make it quite proficient at pumpkin-innards scooping. The kit usually comes with a sponge, and a few double ended wire shaving tools that are fantastic to work with. I would strongly advice against using the all-metal blade scraping hand tool. In fact, if it comes with the kit just throw it away as soon as you open it. That particular tool tends to slice through things rather indiscriminately, like your fingers for instance. . .

Happy Carving!

·
Registered
289 Posts
For the hardcore pumpkin enthusiast, the Pumpkin Gutter is great and attaches to your drill. It's sort of a modified compound/ paint mixer and makes quick work of pumpkins. You can get it at Zombie Pumpkins.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are all such great ideas. I'm a little afraid of using power tools, though. I'm envisioning celebrating Halloween with one less finger this year.

What do you all think of this? I haven't bought it, but it looks heavy-duty compared to the plastic ones.

Actually, the tools look a little medieval torture-ish and could probably make a prop all by themselves! :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think i might try cutting it at the bottom instead this year. I need an easy way because ironically I, a Halloween lover, am allergic to pumpkin!! I have to wear gloves when I carve and they are a pain.
You should definitely go with Funkin carving if you're allergic!
That sounds like so much extra work!!! My son has always worn glove almost every year since he was little just because he hates the feel of pumpkin guts! It looks so difficult to me.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What makes the job the quickest and cleanest? A simple pair of large office scissors! Once you cut out the top [with a good kitchen knife of course], just start snipping away at the pulp that's attached to the inner walls, making your way down the bottom 'crown' of the pumpkin. Carefully snip away what remains attached at the crown. Then scoup it all out with a large kitchen spoon or ladel. That's all there is to it and you'll see it makes the job quick and easy to snip, rather than rake and pull the plup. The scissors also make easy work of cleaning up the strings that dangle and get in the way, as part of cleanup and finishing off.

Scissors- no easier way! Good luck.

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts