Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using big scissors and it just hurts my hand, so I am looking for a better way. Is there any? What do you all use..I have a bunch of projects lined up with burlap..help.
Thanks..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use kinda thick burlap the kind coffee beans are in and tress for landscapers. I can get them really cheap. But it sounds like I might just need to suck it up...aaargh.. haven't tried the razor blade but might give it a go...

·
Registered
917 Posts
The way I was taught to cut that type of fabric was to get the length figured out and then pick one strand and pull it out of the weave to form a channel and then cut along the channel, if that makes sense to you. I never had any trouble cutting it that way with fabric scissors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm actually using burlap for a scarecrow. . . I just use a good pair of Fiskars (I think that's the correct spelling), they work pretty great for anything really.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
First get a board and put it down where you will be doing the cutting to protect the table. I also use a utility knife to cut with, the secret is to use a solid steel ruler held down tight and slide your blade along the steel ruler, or a piece of straight steel , maybe 1/8 of an inch thick or thicker, or use a square, same thing.
You could also use some kind of clamps to hold down the ruler , material and the board all at the same time.
The extra time and effort to gather up these simple things I have mentioned makes it So Much Easier and much more accurate cutting too along with less potential for cutting your own precious fingers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts