Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm thinking about getting off my butt and doing a few of my own tombstones for the first time this year, and I was wondering if anyone has ever come across any photos/images/designs of what I believe are typical New England tombstones from the 16-1700's (I'm specifically thinking of the ones with winged-skulls forming their arched-tops)?

Also, since I'm using 2" foam insulation board for these, I'm more than open to anyone's hints about the best (meaning the easiest for non-artistic types) tools and techniques for carving them. I've also had problems in the past with effectively anchoring store-bought tombstones due to the wind-factor around our house.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I found an image exactly like I was thinking of on the Burying Point site. I'll have to look through the Grave Addiction site when I'm not supposed to be working!
I still have to figure out how to enlarge the image, or somehow turn it into a template (I can't draw).
Thanks again for sharing these links!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I've also had problems in the past with effectively anchoring store-bought tombstones due to the wind-factor around our house.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
I'm sure there are more "artistic" methods to anchor your tombstones, but last year I used "Powergrab" (it's in the caulk section at Lowes) to attach two pieces of 1/2" PVC to the back of the tombstones. Then I just slid them over rebar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts