Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a flame bulb with the e12 Candelabra base that only has one flicker mode. I have searched high and low and it seems they only make them with 3 or 4 lighting modes. I have read some reviews on some of them that claim they will go back to that flicker mode when they are turned off and then turned back on with a timer and some say they do not. Some reviews also say that they alternate between modes intermittently.

If anyone has one of these and can attest that they will go back to the flicker mode each time they are turned off for say 20hrs that would be great. Or if they make one that only has flicker mode.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have other bulbs with more then one flicker and to get them to cycle through you need a quick on/off. If left off for more then 5 seconds it stays on the last flicker function.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have other bulbs with more then one flicker and to get them to cycle through you need a quick on/off. If left off for more then 5 seconds it stays on the last flicker function.
Ok. I guess I will buy some and see how they work. I have some of the e26 base flame bulbs from Hudson Lighting. Only have one mode. Very good bulbs, nice flame effect. They had some e12 base bulbs but discontinued them unfortunately.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,022 Posts
If you just want the flame effect and not much brightness, I use these in my pumpkins... https://amzn.to/2NHHBuA

If you are looking for a brighter flame effect in a small bulb and the bulb shape does not matter because it will be obscured behind glass or inside a prop, and you can live without the E12 base, Spider Hill Prop Works sells an awesome little 12v flame effect bulb.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you just want the flame effect and not much brightness, I use these in my pumpkins... https://amzn.to/2NHHBuA

If you are looking for a brighter flame effect in a small bulb and the bulb shape does not matter because it will be obscured behind glass or inside a prop, and you can live without the E12 base, Spider Hill Prop Works sells an awesome little 12v flame effect bulb.
Thanks. I actually have some of those flicker bulbs, but I want a little more brightness. I am going to put the LED flame bulbs in my pumpkins and in a couple of lanterns I bought. I used led tea lights with timers last year and they weren't bright enough for me.
I have seen the 12v flame effect bulb from Spider Hill and was going to buy some, but want the ease of not using a 12v power supply. I have a bunch of C7 (e12) sockets and putting them in the pumpkins and lanterns will be real easy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question for you "Oak Lane Cemetery" I noticed in one of your posts you bought some Nano Spots from FrightProps for your Tombstones. I wanted to get some to light up my Cemetery columns and Gargoyles. I was planning on putting maybe two on the bottom to light up the column and two up top for the Gargoyles. Just wanted to know what you thought of them and if they would work for my situation?
BTW if the chain around the gate looks familiar I "borrowed" that from you.;)
20181027_165037.jpg
Incidentally, I didn't like the paint job I originally did and changed it. I also added some different coach style lights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might try Ali Express. It's kind of like multiple stores under one heading out of China. The problem with them now is they're really iffy about whether you get the items you ordered, and not really great about giving refunds for merchandise lost along transit. It used to be very different, but Covid seems to have found another victim in reliable mail order from China. At any rate, we have some E-12 flicker lamps from them. US $2.37 |CHIZAO LED Dynamic flame effect light bulb Multiple mode Creative corn lamp Decorative lights For bar hotel restaurant party E27|LED Bulbs & Tubes| - AliExpress was where we got the first ones, but our second order never arrived and they only refunded half the cost. (That said, they're less than half the cost of Amazon, so we still probably came out ahead.)

As to whether they cycle through, they didn't in our displays. They always turned on as a flicker light. We didn't mind them looking like lamps because they were shielded from direct view. There are other merchants who sell the more flame-shaped bulbs on both Ali Express and Amazon, but be prepared to pay far more. Realistically, none of them look like flames regardless of the shape of the bulb. You're paying for the flickering effect, not a bulb that looks like a candle flame.

Another option that we found we really like for our pumpkins is taking out a larger chunk of their bottoms, or removing their little C-7 light base entirely and setting them on top of fake candles. We found a set on sale at Amazon that has a remote control. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PVH9849/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They're pretty bright for fake candles; much brighter than the C-7 flame bulbs that Oak Lane Cemetery uses. (We use them too, just not in our front and center pumpkins.) Below is a picture of our Jack O'Lantern Family mausoleum. Apologies for the bad definition, but I didn't take any pictures last year, and the video that provided the still is iffy at best.

As you can see, they're really out front, and it's easy to see inside them. So our E-12 flame bulbs, while bright. were too tough to hide. Standard E-26 flame bulbs light up the insides behind the stained glass, but the pumpkins have the candles inside. From the street they look great because they're bright, and they have "actual" candles inside them instead of simply the bulbs they came with. And turning them on was as simple as setting them up and pushing the remote control until they all turned on. They have a timer that would turn them on and off the same time every night, but they all came in each night, so we never tested that feature. It's another option worth considering if it's pumpkins or another easily visible option you're trying to light.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply. The tea light candles had timers and worked well, but not bright enough. I ordered some of the e12 base led flame bulbs from amazon to try out. I know they will work in my lanterns. The pumpkins you may be able to see the bulbs, but I can always put them slightly horizontal inside. I may try the flicker flame bulbs too and see which ones I like better.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
So I had posted here on the forum that I had bought these because the bulb actually comes off the plug. Then I bought sockets (e27 to E14) separately to pull the bulbs out and use them on a regular e26/27 socket, but they shorted out. Many handy electricians on our forum here gave me advice on how to hook up, but maybe your electrical talents are better than mine!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my e12 flame bulbs yesterday. They work great, much brighter than the tea lights. When they are unplugged or turned off, then turned back on say 30 seconds later they go back to the flicker mode.
These are the bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Severino-Can...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I bought a bunch of C7 sockets a few years back for a different project and used them in my pumpkins. The pumpkins already had a 2 inch hole I cut in the bottom to put the tea light inside. I just drilled a small hole inside the 2 inch cut out and put the socket down in it. Then used some lamp wire and connected it. Put a plug on the end and there you go.

I should get my Lanterns today and I will do the same for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The tea light candles had timers and worked well, but not bright enough.
I have to admit that tea light candles have never been our favorite for that reason. They're just not bright enough for anything but ambiance mood. Our upright candles are much brighter, but that said...

I got my e12 flame bulbs yesterday. They work great, much brighter than the tea lights. When they are unplugged or turned off, then turned back on say 30 seconds later they go back to the flicker mode.
I'm glad they turned out well. You have convinced us to buy into bulbs that are quite a bit more expensive than the E-12s we currently have, but for the opposite reason that you went searching for them. They're about half the wattage of our current bulbs, and we think they will look much better inside our stairway jack-o-lanterns. The 1.2 watt vs our current 3 watt should give them a friendly glow without going over the top. Currently the 3 watt bulbs are kind of acting like landing lights, which wasn't the look we were hoping for. And, it saves us from having to rewire the pumpkins. They all have C-7 bases as they're original wiring. The candelabra lights will fit into the bases perfectly.

I may try the flicker flame bulbs too and see which ones I like better.
I suspect that you're no longer going to have to consider that option. :) Thanks for the posts.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,022 Posts
Question for you "Oak Lane Cemetery" I noticed in one of your posts you bought some Nano Spots from FrightProps for your Tombstones. I wanted to get some to light up my Cemetery columns and Gargoyles. I was planning on putting maybe two on the bottom to light up the column and two up top for the Gargoyles. Just wanted to know what you thought of them and if they would work for my situation?
BTW if the chain around the gate looks familiar I "borrowed" that from you.;)
View attachment 744195
Incidentally, I didn't like the paint job I originally did and changed it. I also added some different coach style lights.
I used 2 cheap solar landscape lights to uplight my columns and a brighter 12v "Moonrays" landscape light to shine up on the sign. The Nanos are great for bringing props out of the shadows but in my experience they work best when you can get them 2 or 3 feet away from whatever you are lighting to give the beam enough space to spread out some. They might work good for uplighting the column, but I think they might have be positioned too close to light the gargoyles. Ned's makes some similar spots that are more inexpensive and have a metal base, though they don't have as much pivot as the Frightprop's ones. You could always order a couple to test. If they wont work there you might be able to cut a groove in the top to fit in one of those flat LED strips so that it can't bee seen, but will light up the gargoyle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to admit that tea light candles have never been our favorite for that reason. They're just not bright enough for anything but ambiance mood. Our upright candles are much brighter, but that said...

I'm glad they turned out well. You have convinced us to buy into bulbs that are quite a bit more expensive than the E-12s we currently have, but for the opposite reason that you went searching for them. They're about half the wattage of our current bulbs, and we think they will look much better inside our stairway jack-o-lanterns. The 1.2 watt vs our current 3 watt should give them a friendly glow without going over the top. Currently the 3 watt bulbs are kind of acting like landing lights, which wasn't the look we were hoping for. And, it saves us from having to rewire the pumpkins. They all have C-7 bases as they're original wiring. The candelabra lights will fit into the bases perfectly.

I suspect that you're no longer going to have to consider that option. :) Thanks for the posts.
The flame bulbs are perfect. Not too bright, just enough of a warm orange glow. I have changed my lights for props so many times. New technology is nice, but gets expensive after a while.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used 2 cheap solar landscape lights to uplight my columns and a brighter 12v "Moonrays" landscape light to shine up on the sign. The Nanos are great for bringing props out of the shadows but in my experience they work best when you can get them 2 or 3 feet away from whatever you are lighting to give the beam enough space to spread out some. They might work good for uplighting the column, but I think they might have be positioned too close to light the gargoyles. Ned's makes some similar spots that are more inexpensive and have a metal base, though they don't have as much pivot as the Frightprop's ones. You could always order a couple to test. If they wont work there you might be able to cut a groove in the top to fit in one of those flat LED strips so that it can't bee seen, but will light up the gargoyle.
Thanks for the recommendations. I wanted to try and hide the Nano spots in the bottom part of the column as well as the top. The LED strip lights may work for the Gargoyles. I probably will order some Nano spots and see how they look. Pretty inexpensive now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts