Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I wanted one of those TNT or dynamite plungers that Wile E. Coyote used in the cartoons, for my mine shaft themed yard haunt. This is what I have come up with so far. I started "aging" it and didn't get the plunger handle done yet. But, I found a great old shovel handle that I am going to use. I am going to take a better picture in the day light tomorrow, but I was kind of excited to post a pic so I took one with the flash. I found this piece of wood that was used as a pallet, I think they took it off of a crate, but I am not sure. The best part was that it already had arrows painted on it. I just cut the sheet of wood so that the arrows matched up on each side.

Here is a pic of it after I put the first coat of red.

Here it is after I "aged" it a bit.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YHJ, what a great start. Looks like it needs to have DANGER stenciled into it.
I am looking for stencils that are small enough to fit on the box. I assume there will be a DANGER and maybe EXPLOSIVES. :) Any suggestions welcomed. I don't really know what these things look like other then what I remember from the Roadrunner cartoons. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks great! First thought for a burning fuse would be to just light an incense stick.... but......

Keep in mind that when using this type of detonator, there is no burning fuse. Kinda like launching a model rocket remotely, the firepower is set off by an electrical charge.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
YHJ, fantastic aging on the box. You gotta put together a tutorial for aging. I'm so happy to build stuff, but so nervous about aging and weathering it.

Your box looks great!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I finished the top and the other 2 sides. I also got the plunger done. I found a couple rusted wing nuts that I will be adding later to attach wires.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Rockin' job, YHJ!!! First rate. I'm gonna have to make a skills trade. I'll build you a facade, you come up and show me how to weather and age!! (um, my props - I mean)

And to top it off, your lawn is fantastic!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that would sound like a good idea, but unless you go with a mine shaft theme I don't think I would be of too much help. I am good at making stuff look like it has been in a mine shaft for a long time, but not too good at normal "aging". I am still waiting to get the wing nuts and wires hooked up. I think that will really help the overall look. But, the rusted wing nuts are currently on a swinging bench and I am going to leave it out over the weekend and see if anyone will offer me a few bucks for it. If not it will get recycled and I will get the wing nuts!!!! :D

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Looks Rad! (is that still a hip word!?)
If you should decide to do a "mining company name" on the box. Dafont.com has some nice typefaces.

Ok, I got to ask...whatcha gona blow up?

·
Registered
490 Posts
yardhauntjunkie,

My buddy did a display a few years ago with 'TNT', He just used one of those fiber optic thingies that they sell for 2 bucks at fireworks shows and Disneyland. (The ones with a small lamp, and then a bundle of fibers that shoot out the top, and splay out) Looked great, and the gag was even better...

So, there was a pirate actor behind a short wall of boxes - booze in one hand, 'lit' TNT in the other. He talks to the group for 20 sec or so, and then KABOOOOM [smoke + strobe show + bass hit coordinated through VSA]. Actor ducks behind the wall while the smoke is going, and flips up a cheesy skeleton (on a pivot), and then 'talks' through the skeleton by pulling on a wire attached to its jaw. It was a good set, with good light and smoke effects, and TOTALLY cheesy acting. Got lots of laughs.

View attachment 4527

His haunt had been mostly for little kids - more Disney style, but just thought I'd share. Oh... and the actor had a little trouble getting out of the set at the end of the night - you know... gotta go for maximum realism with the booze ;)

- Hook

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
For dynamite sticks-

thick wooden dowel rods wrapped in paper. Wrap the ends similar to a roll of coins.
Could use lamp cord or some other lite type of wire, for a realistic look. Use twine to wrap sticks up together in a bundle.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to make dynamite sticks. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to make them, but I got some great tips from you guys. I don't really like sharing all my plans, because I kind of like having a few surprises. But, I will say that the plunger box isn't going to just be a stationary prop. :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts