Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for awhile now. Love this site. Its my home page and I have been spending countless hours reading about and looking at all your pics, stories, party invites and endless advice. So thanks

Anyways onto the question. I am having my 30th on Halloween night. How great it is on the saturday this year. I have decided to invite only adults and have ordered hundreds of dollars in props, book on how to props and ideas and countless other things.

I want to do something different. I want to do a dvd invite. This however, is something I have run past quite a few people here in Australia. They have told me they have never ever heard of anything like it. Hence, I want to do it even more.

I was going to combine video with pics and scary music.. or maybe do a scary scene. I can not find anything minus 3 videos on you tube and need some different scenarios.

This is intended for Adults only. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. I am doing this all on my own.. and really stuck on this one. Please help.

Also for those, that may not have any ideas could you please let me know what you would think if you received a dvd invitation in the mail? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

·
Registered
576 Posts
A DVD invite is a great idea that can really get people excited about your party. The biggest question would be, what is your theme? That would determine what sort of video you produce.

I'd not real excited about a collage of pictures and video. I get more excited about a story line that has me imagine that there may be terrible things afoot!

There was a really nice video that was made by a member (can't find it right now), his theme was biohazard or quarentine style. The video was shot like a casual home movie of a dad taking a movie of his family playing a game of hide and seek. When the young daughter runs upstairs, they hear a wierd noise, then the lights go out. The dad switches to "night vision mode" on his camera, where everything is green and the lens has that fish eye look. They carefully go upstairs, find the girl sitting in a chair. She stands up, slowly turns, then reveals here now-zombie killer face and giant toothy mouth (with some special effects). She attacks the dad, the camera falls, blood is seen being splattered, then the turns to static. This video was accompanied with a letter that looked like it was from the Center For Disease Control, talking about an incident at the house, infection, and the recipients needing to go to the house on the party night.

That video was like a "teaser" that got people excited about the party. There was a sense of danger and unknown. It was shot in first person, sort of like Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield. That tells the viewer that there is a real person behind the camera that is suffering or going through a huge dilemma.

If you make a teaser, you can task the recipients to come to your house on the party night to discover what happened. Perhaps there is a murder, or why there are zombies all over the place, or why the government is covering up a large toxic spill.

i.e. A lab technician was murdered because the government is covering up a toxic leak that is turning a local cemetary into a zombieland!

So what is your theme?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

As you requested: very good idea, even if it were a collage I'd be enthousiastic, indeed depanding on the theme, a collage could also give an impression of total chaos and leave the recepient with a big question mark as to what the theme will be. Could be very interesting as well...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Thanks, going to take a peek at the links and see what I can come up with.
I thought about the theme over my morning coffee and as I am doing a haunted house.. I am going to do "things are not what they seem" eg: someone is going as a bee so with a twist they are going as a killer bee. or Snow white is dead snow white.

They can be what they want, but it has to have an evil twist.

So did I go alright? I start filming this week so if you think that would be a good theme.. I will go ahead with the project. Some people had expressed that they are coming as a good girl sort of costume.. so I think this will give people enough room to move with ideas. Everyone here has said but in the movies... on halloween they don't have to be scary so this is kinda making them step out of the box.

What do you think?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great theme! Now that you have a theme you can tailor your video. Would you like to have a back story on why the house is haunted? That can add much flavor to the invitation. You can take inspiration from any haunted house movie for why it is haunted, and use that. Things like:

Jilted lover that killed her cheating husband, then killed herself.
Mad scientist that conducted evil experiments on patients.
Innocent man executed for a crime he didn't commit.
Terrible accident that killed an entire family.
House was built over an ancient Aztec burial ground.
Witches cursed a man after she was jilted.
Souls are trapped by an evil spirit.
Entire house is an evil force that tries to kill everyone.

The possibilities are virtually limitless!

You can narrate it with a few silent actors or still photographs or combination of both. Can't wait to see the results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You could also work towards the Rose Red idea; that's definately a case of 'nothing is what is seems', on the video you could make it seem like when you turn around, the rooms/hallways have changed form or something like that...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW. Have so many ideas going atm. I think that I will do that search now.
Warrant, (hope I did not spell that wrong..) I am a bit worried as I do not have too many props.. waiting on my american delivery. fingers crossed it comes soon.

I am going to share some ideas with two friends and see what they recon.
Thanks to all.

I am so so so excited. It has been 7 years since I have celbrated halloween... and very overdue.

and the last post.. before this one.. from holland. I really like that. I have a mac so if I do that.. eg: with hallways I am sure I can do something with some media to make it good.

I will post later this week if I get stuck... and again thanks!

Tams

1 - 9 of 9 Posts