Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theme this year is torture. Can anyone tell me where I can get wall/backgrounds that look like a dungeon for 10 foot high walls? All I can find is around 5 or 6 feet. I'm on a limited budget so don't want to have to buy extra to cover the extra 4 or 5 feet. I'm hoping to cover all the walls in my house so need to find somewhere cheap, but decent quality.

Thanks.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
741 Posts
I've never the Scene setter/ wall covers that tall. I had to do an even larger wall in the past and just stacked them. so long as you try to line up the design it looks fine. The average person never sees the details we stress over so much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Therewolf. I'm sure you're right that no one else sees what we stress over, especially when it's dark but my walls are kind of a cream color and I'm afraid it will show up, plus my baseboards are the really old ones that are like a foot tall. I wanted to cover them too. Where do you get yours? I've been researching it and to piece them together to cover my walls would end up being pretty expensive.
Thanks.

·
Typing Away
3,677 Posts
It may be cheaper to by a roll of black poly and paint the detail you want with a sponge for blocks. You can get that in 12' wide rolls.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stick. I hadn't thought of doing it myself. Do you know where they sell the rolls?
Thanks again.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
741 Posts
Thanks Therewolf. I'm sure you're right that no one else sees what we stress over, especially when it's dark but my walls are kind of a cream color and I'm afraid it will show up, plus my baseboards are the really old ones that are like a foot tall. I wanted to cover them too. Where do you get yours? I've been researching it and to piece them together to cover my walls would end up being pretty expensive.
Thanks.
I got the wall coverings at the seasonal pop-up Halloween stores. I tried all different kinds of methods to hang them with a lot of failure and re-hanging. In the end I used clear Packing tape, not what I wanted, but it held!. Starting with the bottom strip and working my up, overlapping the top edge by about 1/2" I went almost 20' high so a lot of tiresome time on the ladder. I'm not doing the indoor decor this so I can focus on my outside setup. But there is still some pieces of tape 15-20 up on my wall that I never got back to peel off. I tried several different double stick tapes but none of them would stick well enough to the plastic. Even though I knew where ever crease, mis-aligned pattern or tear was, everybody else was shocked and impressed by it. When I took it down in November it made my living room feel bare. I have some on Swing-away panels in my garage but they are stapled in, I did put plastic sheeting underneath them to help hide the joints between the panels. a little strategic placement of some additional decorations helped. Attaching a pic of the garage, somehow, I managed to never take a pic of the inside.
Chair Building Art

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would recommend scene setters that look like stone or brick walls. They are reusable, which makes the investment into them worthwhile. We have used "stone wall" scene setters somewhere every year we've done Halloween and even for some of the kids themed birthday parties (castles, etc).

Even though they are shiny, they cal really change the look of a room. Some people will go up and touch them to see if the stones are real, as in dim, Halloween-colored lights, they can start to fool the eye.

We also have beige walls and needed to cover them. Here are a few pics showing how we used them:

For this one, we cut openings where we had windows in order to have the lightning flashes shine through (as if it were a creepy castle, etc.).
Room Lighting Night Animation House

One year, we used them in the kitchen for one of our spider rooms. We have 10' ceilings, but the combined height of the scene setter is only 8 feet tall. I cringe when I look at these pictures, as the 1 foot space above and below the scene setters is obvious; but when you're there in person, it didn't look as bad, and much better than light tan walls:
Heat Geological phenomenon Event Ritual Flame

These last two are from the hallway leading to the bathroom. One is looking into the hallway, and the other is looking out from the bathroom:
Green Tree Darkness Fiction Forest

Green Light Lighting Light fixture Illustration

We put wall coverings are all of our walls on the first floor. Last year we bought photo backdrops from a company in China for some of the rooms and they really added to the look, but in any room we don't know what to put on the walls, we use these stone scenes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We use scene setters every year in our garage. We probably have 8 different ones to include the stone walls. My garage is 9 ft. to the rafters and i buy the scene setters that are 8 ft. and then take the black poly that was stated earlier and tape it to the top to cover the top foot to the rafter and it looks great. If you do a search for castle scene setters it should bring up the stone walls for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harboe69 thanks for the idea about covering the remaining area with the black poly paper. That would save me a lot of money.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Though I've always said I'm going to put black plastic or paper on the top and bottom of the 8' scene setters, I have yet to do it. Mainly because we're so busy with all the other setting up. But I'm definitely going to do it from now on, as those pictures remind me of that omission.

We use scene setters every year in our garage. We probably have 8 different ones to include the stone walls. My garage is 9 ft. to the rafters and i buy the scene setters that are 8 ft. and then take the black poly that was stated earlier and tape it to the top to cover the top foot to the rafter and it looks great. If you do a search for castle scene setters it should bring up the stone walls for you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Those scene setters look awesome!!

If your up to some carving you can try to find some 4 x 8 foam board for cheap like i did. i didn't go full dungeon like i wanted to due to time but it worked out. i got mine at a habitat for humanity store. 7 bucks a pop. think i paid 80 for a bundle. It's a bit of work but very satisfying to see your work displayed. And you could just add 2 feet to the foam before carving super easily.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kindo, that's awesome. Wish I had time to put into it to do something like that, but I have so many projects that I want to do and so little time!! Thanks for the awesome picture!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
That looks great!.
I would love to use some foam boards. My wife and I have actually talked about it, but it came down to no time last year, and this year we're trying to stick a a tight budget. I'd like to cover my garage doors with foam to make the house look less like a house. Maybe someday.

Those scene setters look awesome!!

If your up to some carving you can try to find some 4 x 8 foam board for cheap like i did. i didn't go full dungeon like i wanted to due to time but it worked out. i got mine at a habitat for humanity store. 7 bucks a pop. think i paid 80 for a bundle. It's a bit of work but very satisfying to see your work displayed. And you could just add 2 feet to the foam before carving super easily.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ya, if you have multiple projects going on its not the best thing to start up cause it will eat your time. Especially if you have never done it before. tweaking things hear and there to get used to the process and all. I have to say though, once you get in to it it doesn't take as long and you can knock some out pretty quick.

I got real lucky finding the foam at the price i did. super lucky. if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have been able to skin my house. being that there about 30 bucks a pop for one sheet these days. But keep looking at some discount stores or try to find something like the habitat for humanity place and even if you don't have time this year and you find the foam for a good deal do your self a favor and pick some up if you have a spot to store them. there pretty hardy. i keep mine outside under my carport and they hold up with no problems. just gotta keep em out of the sun. they'll start to break down in direct sunlight. It's so worth it in the end if your going to be haunting every year. And you could make them reversible so you could have 2 different looks with one piece. i really wish i had done that. i was thinking about having a stone dungeon look on one side and broke down wood on the other. O well, maybe ill be able to at one point in the future.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I could imagine making foam stone work, in tiles. Use the thinnest foam, 1/2" thick stuff, and cut them to smaller squares. Maybe 2ft x 2ft or 4ft x 4ft. That would allow you to sculpt and paint them exactly how you want them, but storage becomes a simple stack. Use either poster putty to stick em up, or maybe Velcro.

IN FACT, you could buy those drop-ceiling styrofoam panels, cuz Menards sells them in 2ft x 4ft panels, ten in a pack! Just turn each panel into stones or brick work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts