Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been setting up and taking pictures this year there has been one thing that keeps jumping out at me as a huge eyesore and atmosphere kill to our display. That one thorn was our bright white and very modern looking front storm door. I had already given it some thought and decided that I was going to cover it with a dungeon door facade next year, but the more I looked at it the more I couldn't stand it, so off to Lowes we went for some 1/4" foam board. Took me an afternoon to get the shape measured and cut and most of the carve done, then the next morning and afternoon to get it finished, painted and mounted. Used some of those 3M locking fasteners to attach it to the storm door. I'll peel the fasteners off the storm door after Halloween, but leave the other side on the facade for next year.

Rough cut to size...

Bars installed...

Carve done. Added cross boards too...

Painted and attached...

You can see how I've cut out to allow access to the door handle to allow for normal function of the door. The only change I plan on making it to cut some fake strap hinges to glue onto the left side.

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts
Looks great! We have the same problem with a very white and clean front door. Gotta cover it up!

We keep our door filthy all year round. This gives the door that "natural" grime look that is so appealing for Halloween. Two days before Halloween I spray the door down to give the grime that grungy "flowing" dirt effect that is absolutely breathtaking to behold.

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts
The finishing touches. Made fake strap hinges and hung our talking skull over the top. He is barely audible after several years of use, but the animation still works great. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good door knocker to add to this.

That is extremely well done....The camera shot robs you of the detail and the full 3D effect you have created in the blue unpainted angle shot. try a side angle shot to give it the full monty.

Well done !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts