Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up with a new Idea for a scene to fill a blank spot in my display. Part of the idea was to move a couple of Pumpkin sentinels that were part of another scene and did not add much to it.

I figured it was a quick job to take them downs off the tree they were mounted to and took a flimsy light ladder out onto the hilly lawn. Climbed up and removed the first sentinel…. and as I climbed down and was at the 3rd rung of the ladder it kick out from under me and gravity showed me who was boss. I missed hitting my head on the tree and my right side upper back and shoulder took the brunt of the fall. I was on the 3rd run so it was about 9 feet from were my shoulder was to the ground.

I laid there for a minute making sure I did not seriously injure anything then got up and switched the flimsy ladder for the sturdy one and got my wife to hold the ladder while I finished taking the sentinels and their mounting system down and setting them up at the new spot.

It was dumb and totally my fault. Before this the worst thing I had done was drill into my hand making a prop.

Anyone else have any lessons they learned while setting up Halloween?

Here is the ladder.
Stairs Water Chair Rectangle Wood

And the new scene I set up.
Plant Tree Christmas decoration Midnight Gas

·
Registered
97 Posts
I came up with a new Idea for a scene to fill a blank spot in my display. Part of the idea was to move a couple of Pumpkin sentinels that were part of another scene and did not add much to it.

I figured it was a quick job to take them downs off the tree they were mounted to and took a flimsy light ladder out onto the hilly lawn. Climbed up and removed the first sentinel…. and as I climbed down and was at the 3rd rung of the ladder it kick out from under me and gravity showed me who was boss. I missed hitting my head on the tree and my right side upper back and shoulder took the brunt of the fall. I was on the 3rd run so it was about 9 feet from were my shoulder was to the ground.

I laid there for a minute making sure I did not seriously injure anything then got up and switched the flimsy ladder for the sturdy one and got my wife to hold the ladder while I finished taking the sentinels and their mounting system down and setting them up at the new spot.

It was dumb and totally my fault. Before this the worst thing I had done was drill into my hand making a prop.

Here is the ladder.
View attachment 754885

And the new scene I set up. View attachment 754886
I am so glad you are ok, we can't afford to lose a community member...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,681 Posts
Glad you didn't have any serious injuries. That could have come out a whole lot worse. The the display looks great tho! :D

I cut a tendon in my hand carving a pumpkin many years ago. Got the knife stuck in a rather thick area, wiggled the it trying to loosen it, hand shot right down the edge of the blade. Felt super dumb, but it's real easy to to do.

Take it from me - use a safe cutting tool and make sure that your hands are NOT slick with pumpkin guts! 🎃

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know how some screws are easily stripped so you tend to lean into them and make sure the screwdriver doesn't slip? If you do that enough, at an odd enough angle, you might just damage your shoulder. And need PT. Repetitive motions are a bad thing, apparently.

Falling off a ladder is MUCH riskier.
I am so glad you are ok, we can't afford to lose a community member...
Thanks, I am lucky and I know it. I landed beside a drill that was on the ground. I missed hitting my head on the tree and there were no roots, sticks or rocks under where I landed, just dirt and grass.

First thing I thought about after i fell was my brother who fell off a ladder building our back deck a few years ago. He fell the same distance I did and broke ribs and got a concussion. It took him months to completely recover.

That’s what I get for taking shortcuts and not doing things right from the start.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you didn't have any serious injuries. That could have come out a whole lot worse. The the display looks great tho! :D

I cut a tendon in my hand carving a pumpkin many years ago. Got the knife stuck in a rather thick area, wiggled the it trying to loosen it, hand shot right down the edge of the blade. Felt super dumb, but it's real easy to to do.

Take it from me - use a safe cutting tool and make sure that your hands are NOT slick with pumpkin guts! 🎃
Thanks for the compliment. Ouch to the tendon being cut. I have razor blade slices all over my fingers and hands from when I was a teen building things. Never cut a tendon though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad you're alright. It's my philosophy that we have these accidents once in a while to remind us to be careful. Believe me, we all have them. I have hippy hair. When I got my first Dremel tool I was leaning over to watch what I was doing and my hair got caught in the spindle. Pulled my hair and tore off a large chunk of hair. It pulled hard enough that I had a headache and a sore scalp (but luckily it didn't tear the skin). Ever since I tie up my hair when I do anything with ANY tool. It was a good lesson

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[
Glad you're alright. It's my philosophy that we have these accidents once in a while to remind us to be careful. Believe me, we all have them. I have hippy hair. When I got my first Dremel tool I was leaning over to watch what I was doing and my hair got caught in the spindle. Pulled my hair and tore off a large chunk of hair. It pulled hard enough that I had a headache and a sore scalp (but luckily it didn't tear the skin). Ever since I tie up my hair when I do anything with ANY tool. It was a good lesson
Thanks, good way to look at it. Mistakes are only worth the trouble if you learn from them. I have been getting lazier lately taking shortcuts. I noticed in a how to video I was not wearing eye protection using power tools. This was the wake up call I needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stepped wrong while walking out my front door to begin putting up this year’s decorations. Broke my left foot 🦶🏼 🤦🏽‍♀️
This delayed me putting up my decorations by a month. I usually start the first week of September so that I can enjoy my hard work for as long as possible. Lesson that I learned was not to wear flip flops while carrying out the big and bulky stuff, wear sensible shoes instead 😂

·
Registered
46 Posts
Y'all be careful out there!

Ask any EMT. A VERY high percentage of injuries and deaths occur from falling from heights as low as three feet off the ground.

That's why I Always, always have a spotter/someone to keep the ladder steady when working heights.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,674 Posts
When I was 10, we had just moved to FL and were the new people in a small town. The Halloween contest my mom was rushing us to, she wasnt paying attention cutting my cleopatra wig and cut off the tip of her thumb...

She powered through that an still managed to get my brother and I to the event. We won which is so cool, still have those ribbons and made the paper. I didn't know about the thumb incident until many years later, no idea she hurt herself back then.

Ive since been super careful with wig cutting after she told me.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Here is the ladder.
View attachment 754885

And the new scene I set up. View attachment 754886
I gouged my leg really bad on a rear that was stuck in the ground. Luckily I'd had a recent tetanus shot.

·
Typing Away
3,693 Posts
It was dumb and totally my fault.
A lawyer would never say that, IT was the ladder fault and the maker of the ladder should be sued for millions so that you can make Bigger and scarier props. :p

Truthfully glad you were not hurt and there have been a few times I was on the ladder putting up props and done something stupid and almost fallen and have to tell myself wake up stupid you are old and will break something if you fall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ouch guys. Glad you are all safe! I've had my share of scrapes and bruises, cuts and bumps, but some of your stories sound extra painful! Good thread to remember the seriousness of ladder safety!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts