Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Oh, I love Drylok. I use it on all my tombstones. I use the gray Drylok you can get a Lowe's (my Home Depot only carries the white one). It does several things. The gray color is the perfect gray base color for tombstones (no need to repaint a base coat). It is water-proof and weather proof (I had outdoors in Kansas weather for 32 days with no damage) Finally, it has sand in it which gives it a great stone look. When you dry-brush a lighter gray, it takes on the perfect stone look.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I do two coats unless it is going over a monster-mudded project. In that case, I do three coats. Wear a mask when you paint this stuff. It has a very stong smell and I got a bit high painting without one. Wheeee... ;)

Here's the last tombstone I did using Drylok:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Definite love Drylok and now they have an odorless version although we have more fun when we use the odorful version. ads texture and protection. And yes its worth the extra cost if you store your stones carefully

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just realized I'm one post away from 500. Whooohooo. So in my 500th post I'd love to say Terra I love your work, you are a great insperation and you make me want to remake all my tombstones. I also used your tutorial on the flicker candles, that I'll be placing on my cemetery columns. =)

I hope one of my stores here in Canada have the grey tinted drylok. We don't have a Lowes here.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,634 Posts
Terra turned me on to Drylok last year and I was really happy with the results. Here is a grave monument I built. The first pic shows it with the base coat of drylok. I actually gave it two coats.

These show it finished. I dry brushed a darker gray latex on it and then hit a few spots with a spray bottle. The water made the paint run a bit and gave it a nice old look. I'm looking forward to making a few more this year.

·
Resident Lunatic
1,772 Posts
Nice work, Terra and jdubbya. Makes my boxy tombstones look pitiful. Never heard of Drylok. I may try it. Thanks.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts

After I paint the Drylok coats, I use exterior latex paints for the detail work so that way I don't have to seal it. It held up great. I got a gallon each of dark gray and white and I mix them together to get the varying shades of gray. Also, to get that orangy look, I used artist acylic paint (raw sienna) and mixed that with the white and gray exterior latex paints. If you want more detail on the painting techniques I use, please look at my tutorial for Beloved: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Tutorial: Beloved Tombstone

I use the latex version of Drylok. Nice and easy water-clean-up :) Another note about Drylok, it is very thick so I've needed to 'scoop' out some of the wet paint out of the epitaph crevices. It tends to fill in spots so I do that to maintain the detail. But, on the monster-mudded items (like the angel in my tombstone) I love that it fills in crevices. That's what helps the monster-mudded projects take on the look of stone and helps blend it into the tombstone itself.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,634 Posts

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I went in search of Drylock at my local Homedepot and Rona and they don't carry Drylok nor have they even heard about it. They don't even have anything close to it. I was very depressed today. When I got home I did a search on Drylok and they did say they carried it world wide. After continuous searching on the internet I found that Home Hardware does carry it and I'll have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest small town to pick it up. So now I'm happy that I can at least get my hand on some. I knew they would be no point in getting it delivered to me, since the shipping would be really bad due to the weight.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
So I went in search of Drylock at my local Homedepot and Rona and they don't carry Drylok nor have they even heard about it. They don't even have anything close to it. I was very depressed today. When I got home I did a search on Drylok and they did say they carried it world wide. After continuous searching on the internet I found that Home Hardware does carry it and I'll have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest small town to pick it up. So now I'm happy that I can at least get my hand on some. I knew they would be no point in getting it delivered to me, since the shipping would be really bad due to the weight.
They told me they didn't have it at Lowe's either but I asked another guy and he showed us right where it was.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
So I went in search of Drylock at my local Homedepot and Rona and they don't carry Drylok nor have they even heard about it. They don't even have anything close to it. I was very depressed today.
Mummy, you should have told them: "Well I was told you sell it here, so you better FIND it quick or I might just go into labor!!" Then grab your belly and start moaning--OHHH, OHHHHH..........

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,634 Posts
I'll throw in that when I bought a gallon of DL last year, they only had the white and not the gray. The sales clerk said they could mix in some pigment and they were able to tint the white gallon to be the exact gray color I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts