Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been working like a mad man getting 5 original tombstones done and then taking old cheapies and thickening them up with more foam and pvc for re bar inserts etc then coating with Drylok. So today I just had a couple touch up spots on one of them and I touched it up with Drylok and set it out side to dry. Its currently 85 F outside and the tombstone was maybe out there 15 - 20 mins. I went to bring it back and it was blistering the drylok off the foam!!! This is going to cause me problems cause it will still be in the 80s come October. Is this a normal issue. Could it be that I did not sand and prep foam well enough to keep it adhered? Just too new of a coat?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds pretty strange to me. I've never used DryLock under those kinds of temperatures though. What type of foam are you using? Can you take some pics to show us?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had this happen to one of my stones last year, but I was using a heat gun to dry the watered down black paint that I had sprayed on it and it got too hot. Was it near a window or anything reflective? The afternoon sun reflects off one of our windows and has melted the vinyl siding on our house. It took me a while to figure what what was going on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was it Dryloc straight to the foam board ? If so I use a white primer paint on my foam boards first before using the Dryloc. Here in Fla. the heat will cause blistering too.
Doh! Damn I am 11 TB's in with no primer.... well we will see how it goes this year and then maybe I will peal and repaint for next year. :eek:

Whats best primer to use that won't eat the foam?

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I've never primed my stone but they were in Kansas sun and not Florida's. Just making sure - are you using the latex-based Drylok? If you are using the oil-based Drylok - the acetone in the oil-based paint will eat the foam (but I would guess that would have been immediate).

Another thought is perhaps where that spot on the foam is could be where there might have been some oil on it prior to painting? Oil and water don't mix.

Even another thought - you did peel the plastic protective wrap on the foam, right? I know the thinner (1/2" and some 3/4") has that but the thicker sheets don't (1 1/2", 2").

1 - 11 of 11 Posts