Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw an old post about dry ice and using it in punches so I will start a new thread about dry ice so everyone can be careful this season.

Yes, it is OK to put it in punches. The absolute only thing it is going to do is make the drink carbonated.

Put the ice in a mesh bag before putting it in the drink so that little pieces don't accidentally end up in someone’s cup.

Storing the dry ice: No, it will not blow up a cooler. If you put a 50 pound block of ice in a cooler, nothing will happen. It is only when water comes in contact with it that you will have a problem. Even then, I don't think a lid on a cooler is so tight that it will explode before the lid simply lifts up.

Air movement is dry ice worst enemy. Yes, even more than heat. If you put a block in the sun with no air movement, and another in a -20 degree freezer with a fan in front of it, the one in the freeze will dissipate quicker. Leave dry ice in a cooler and not your freezer. Just remember that freezers reticulate air.

If you have any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I frequently work with dry ice for blasting where i work, and being -109 F, the utmost caution must be taken with it especially around young children or anyone ignorant of its dangers.

DRY ICE WARNING!

Please Read Before Using

Extreme Cold (-109º F) May Cause Severe Cold Burns. Handle With Gloves. Avoid Contact With Skin And Eyes. Do Not Confine In Tightly Closed Containers. Do Not Enter Confined Areas Such As Walk-In Boxes Where Using Dry Ice Until Adequately Ventilated. Do Not Put In Drinks. Do Not Eat. Keep Out Of Reach Of Children And Animals.

If u do use for drinks, be very very careful as NTX said above, not to let small pieces get in your guests drinks

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Dry Ice is awesome and I have used it many times in a punch for Halloween. People get too worked up about it. It will not hurt you if use common sence.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dry Ice is awesome and I have used it many times in a punch for Halloween. People get too worked up about it. It will not hurt you if use common sence.

Yes, it is awesome, which i why im getting 300 lbs from my supplier for halloween :cool:

But a lot of ppl dont have common sense when working with it, and thats when good nights go bad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Our local Kroger (grocery store) here has a dry ice freezer in the front of the store though they are a bit over priced its the only place of here I know of to buy it at. (Here being in TN)

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I am throwing my first halloween party this year and wanted to make a punch with dry ice. I found an amazing witches cauldron online so I'm definitely going to do it. I just have a few questions about using the dry ice. I see that caution is advised when using it (for obvious reasons) and read online that wrapping the dry ice in cheesecloth before placing it in the punch is a great way to do it. My question is how much dry ice do you use in the bowl? I imagine it comes in chunks so also how do you break off pieces to use? Also how long does a chunk of the ice last before it needs replacing??

Just a question or two...lol :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
No publix but we have a kroger about 20 miles from here, I'll try there :)

How long will it keep? I have two parties back to back one on friday night and another on saturday night. Id like to get enough for both parties in one trip if possible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
BooBaby. Off the topic , but where did you find the witches cauldron?? I have been looking for one. The only one I can find is a tiny plastic one that would never hold enough punch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know where she got hers but I got mine at iparty.com. They have 3 sizes. I bought the large and it's really large- like I'm going to have to double a punch recipe like 8 times just to fill it. LOL Here's a link..

Large Cauldron -- iParty

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question - can I put it in a glass punchbowl (the Crate & Barrel cake plate / punch bowl convertible thing)? I've read conflicting things about glass vs. plastic with dry ice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am throwing my first halloween party this year and wanted to make a punch with dry ice. I found an amazing witches cauldron online so I'm definitely going to do it. I just have a few questions about using the dry ice. I see that caution is advised when using it (for obvious reasons) and read online that wrapping the dry ice in cheesecloth before placing it in the punch is a great way to do it. My question is how much dry ice do you use in the bowl? I imagine it comes in chunks so also how do you break off pieces to use? Also how long does a chunk of the ice last before it needs replacing??

Boo Baby,

What is the main purpose of the dry ice in the punch? If the dry ice is in the punch to cool it off, you will need quite a bit. You will want to use about 2 pounds of dry ice for about 1 gallon of punch. This should last about 30 minutes. You will not want to break it off in to chunks... more just use larger pieces. Remember that dry ice sinks, so you don't have to worry too much about people drinking the dry ice.

-Tucker
http://dryicenetwork.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, how LONG will dry ice last?? Once water is added to it, it quickly dissolves?? How long before a party can you obtain the ice without it disappearing on you???

·
Registered
7 Posts
WitchyRN,

A general rule of dry ice is that you want to purchase it as close to the time you use it as possible. Dry ice in a normal cooler will sublimate at a rate of about 10 pounds per day. It's not an exact science, but it gives you a good general rate.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
949 Posts
Bumping this thread for a few questions...TuckerZ, you seem to be the expert! Can you help?
After we buy the dry ice, how do we store in until putting it in the punch bowl?
How should we wrap it to keep small pieces from getting in the punch...and if they do, is that a problem? I dont want to poison anyone :eek:
I was going to buy a large plastic cauldron from Walmart for the punch....is it ok to have dry ice in that or will that not be safe?? Sorry for all the questions....I just want to make sure we are doing this safely!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always cringe at the idea of putting it actually in the punch so I would recommend putting a bowl inside the cauldron and putting the punch in that. Put the water and the dry ice in the cauldron so it appears as though the mist is coming out of the punch but really it's just on the outside circumference.

I've done this a few times with a big cauldron and a clear punch bowl. I dont have a pic but the below gives you the general idea.

But each to their own :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts