Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used dry ice before (except in high school chem) so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Questions:

1. Does anyone use dry ice in the punch?

2. If so, what is the best way to go about adding it to the punch?

3. How do you store it until you're going to use it? From what I've read you can't store it in a freezer because it will shut the fridge off and you can't store it in a cooler because the cooler could burst.

4. How much would I need? The store I'm planning to buy it from (if they have any left!) has a rule that you have to buy at least five pounds. Is that a lot? A little?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. I googled it and I guess there are two different kinds of dry ice. One is the kind you can't ingest and the other is called "food grade" dry ice and it's made from the stuff they make carbonated beverages out of. I called the ice distributor in my town and the lady said people use the stuff they sell in punch all the time for Halloween parties. She couldn't answer my questions about HOW I should do that though! Hopefully she knows what she's talking about... I definitely don't want to kill anyone!!
 

·
Ravenous Zombie
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
It's really dangerous to put the dry ice in the punch - it'll burn anyone's insides when they drink it. Instead, put the punch in a smaller bowl, and the dry ice in the bigger bowl underneath it.
 

·
Fallen Angel
Joined
·
7,061 Posts
We usually use dry ice in our punch and it works really well (it's the kind from Baskin Robbins). You will just need to let your guests know that it's in there though so they don't go trying to touch it!!

5lbs sounds about right. We use our metal tongs to add the ice to the punch. We add about a chunk or 2 an hour to keep the fog going most of the night. Make sure to add one big chunk at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We usually use dry ice in our punch and it works really well (it's the kind from Baskin Robbins). You will just need to let your guests know that it's in there though so they don't go trying to touch it!!

5lbs sounds about right. We use our metal tongs to add the ice to the punch. We add about a chunk or 2 an hour to keep the fog going most of the night. Make sure to add one big chunk at a time.
Thanks for the info! Hopefully if we tell people there is dry ice in the punch bowl (which should be failry obvious, I would think!) they will be cautious when filling their glasses.

Where do you store the dry ice before you use it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,922 Posts
You can get a cheap styrofoam cooler or just put it in the freezer. Be sure you have good thick gloves on when working with dry ice, never let it touch your skin!
 

·
Fallen Angel
Joined
·
7,061 Posts
Yup, we just keep ours in a cooler since our freezer is usually stocked full of regular ice and appetizers for the party.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
ok I use dry ice every day at work.. Yes it can be dangerous you should never put it in a airtight container, You should never touch it with bare skin use gloves or a hot pad it will give you frost bite. Putting it in a beverage is fine just don't put it in a glass you are drinking from. (Dry ice is used to make homemade root beer). Just use common sense it is no more dangerous than your oven if used properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
we always just put ours in the punch bowl. it creates a cool effect and as long as people know its there, you should be fine. like everyone has said....don't use your bare hands and bigger chunks will last longer and have more a more dramatic fog effect, also should be less likely to melt into "drinkable" sized pieces.

have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I've always wondered about whether it's safe to do that, actually. I mean, I'd hate to accidentally slurp up a piece of dry ice! That would be...not pleasant!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
We add dry ice to our punch every year - just make sure to throw in big pieces so people can't accidentally scoop it up. We also warn people in advance too - but most people know not to touch the ice. I'd recommend storing it wrapped in a towel inside a styrofoam cooler, instead of the freezer. We used the freezer once and the dry ice just disintegrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
If there is chunk of dry ice in the glass, you will almost certainly see some action: bubbling and fog if it's a piece about pea-sized or bigger; or a little speck scudding around on the surface when it gets that small. In other words, you aren't all that likely to not notice one, if it is there.

Still, be sure to check your drink before drinking.
 

·
STARK Raving Mad
Joined
·
937 Posts
We bought a 10-pound block from the grocery store. It was about 8" x 10" x 2" thick. It came in a sealed plastic bag, and that was placed in a brown paper bag by the store clerk. I also bought a small styrofoam cooler to keep it in.

NOTE: Dry ice will melt FASTER in your freezer than it will in its own styrofoam container.

When it was time, I dropped the block on the patio and it broke into several pieces. Using only a cocktail napkin to protect my fingers, I took a medium sized piece (about 2" x 4" x 2" thick), placed it in an onion sack (plastic), tied the end, and dropped it in the punch. It immediately started generating gobs of mist (yes, gobs). That one piece only lasted about 20 minutes, then I fished out the empty onion sack, untied it, and added another piece.

Actually, I'm not exactly sure how long the pieces lasted. Someone came & told me that the first piece had stopped, but not how long ago. After the 2nd piece, nobody remembered to add more, so the rest sat in the cooler all night.

At about 11:00 the next morning, the newlyweds came by to get their gifts and the cake. My wife had placed the cake's top layer in our freezer immediately after the cutting, so it was well on its way to being frozen. Not wanting it to thaw, they asked if we had some ice... I thought of the abandoned dry ice & styrofoam cooler outside (sitting in the morning sun) and wondered if it would have any dry ice left. Well, even after about 16 hours, there was still a bunch left! And guess what? The cake top fit inside perfectly!

So there you have it. Everything you ever wanted to know about dry ice... and wedding cake tops.

 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top