Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad feeling last night about how well the birds would secure upright on the wire I plan to run.

So today I tried it. And the birds fall forward or backward. Can't get them to perch upright. They don't look very menacing. More like I'm poking fun at the whole thing. Which is not what I'm going for! I just tried it in the backyard so no one has seen it yet. But tomorrow is October 1 when I start in the front yard and I have a lot of birds to display. The birds on the fences, shrubs and other supporting surfaces won't be a problem. It's the ones in mid air that are the problem. And they are the lynch pins of the whole effect.

I'm racking my brain to figure out a way to make it work. I have to make it work. Maybe running fishing line around each bird's neck and securing each end of the line at the same points as the main wire?

I'm open to suggestions!!!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Here's a suggestion I have (have not tried this out yet though so you'll need to experiment).

Are you planning on using a braided rope for your wire? I'd suggest looking for something fairly thick in diameter for more surface area. A while back I found black braided (or twisted pairs) rope at both Dollar Tree in automotive (couple of months ago though) and at my local Ace Hardware.

Once you have the rope selected so you know what kind of thickness you are working with, I'd look for tubing (black or clear) that you can buy by the foot that will fit tightly on the rope. There is somewhat rigid plastic tubing out there and also a somewhat flexible clear vinyl type. Cut sections of the tubing and wire the bird on to the section. Experiment on whether you can slit the tubing so it can be opened and clamped onto the rope and have it hold or maybe you'll need to slip the tubing with bird over the length of the rope to where you need it. With the tube sections in place it should be easier to anchor it in place in the upright position you need rather than just trying to wire the feet on the rope.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
How about buying pvc and paint it black.... go along the length of pvc and drill small holes which will later allow you to put the wire feet through to secure the bird.

I would run my rope through it so as to help keep it from sagging as well as secure it at both ends to trees, house, etc. I would also drill two holes at each end so that I can use zip ties to help keep the pvc from turning....

Once everything is up you will want to balance the weight of the birds (don't have them all facing the same direction)...

U could probably use a strip of wood if pvc won't work.

Then run a length of fishing line 6-9 inches above your "wire" rope....then you can tightly tie fishing line from the secured birds neck to the fishing line above it. If everything is taunt it should prevent them from falling forward.

Does that make sense. ...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Securing the birds isn't the problem. It's getting them to stay upright. I appreciate the suggestions but I don't think that would keep the birds upright, only secure them to the rope, tubing, whatever....They need to be anchored by the neck somehow to keep them from flopping forward or backward.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
would it be possible to suspend some weights to the bird so that the center of gravity is under the rope? hopefully my explanation is sufficient ... if not, let me know & i'll try to get it clearer

that would guarantee that he stays upright

the result would be similar to those toy birds that "magically" balance on their beak when its say on your finger ... in this case the center of gravity is under your finger and underneath the beak

amk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Instead of securing them by their feet, can you hang them by their heads. That way the heads would be in the upright position, and the feet would dangle, as birds feet do.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not one for power tools so the drilling stage option is out. Standing on a six foot ladder trying to tie fishing line to bird neck to fishing line sounds like a trip to the emergency ward! I could try building the appartratus on the ground first but that's heaps of work for something that I won't know works until it's up. It it doesn't I'm back to nothing. Weight on the rope sounds....possible....more details, please!

I'm wondering if I use a thicker rope and some gorilla glue under the birds' butts, if that might hold them up.....? The wind gets strong here in October and there may be snow as well so they need to hold up to the elements.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
can you use florist picks (the little metal ones not the long green ones) to stab into their backs with the fishing line tied to it? (hot glue them in)

I'm trying to picture in my head how you have this set up and I'm not doing a very good job of it, lol

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
How about the fishing line around neck, then hot glue. Or on the back like offmymeds said. It just seems more practical to secure them from the top, Than to secure them from the bottom, then try to balance them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That IS a lot of birds! Thanks for posting it!

I still haven't figured out my bird problem although real birds have been flying into my window lately. I've also started putting out bird seed to attract real birds. It's cool seeing them sitting on the Bodega Bay sign next to the fake birds. :) I think the real birds are trying to be supportive. Either that or I'm not eating enough or sleeping enough or working too hard....pick one, two or all three.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I picked up some braided sample rope and finally found my DT blackbirds to experiment with. Easy to keep birds attached to the rope. Difficult to keep them upright all the time. Seems like it should be relatively easy to solve....hah! Those birds in nature make it look SO simple!!

I'm now leaning towards anchoring/gluing? the rope to a flat, solid piece of material that could be more or less hidden by the rope when you look at it giving the illusion that only the rope is there supporting the birds. Interesting project. As I see it you either need a solid middle that won't turn but stay in place or you attach the rope to something solid that won't roll.

@@The only other thing that I can think of right now might be do something along the idea of a twin line. Actually when I doubled my rope and wrapped the wires on the bottom of the birds feet around both strands, it gave the birds a more flat solid surface to balance on. This might be the way to go. The braided rope I bought at HD (nylon based as they heat sealed the ends when they cut it for me) was I think 5/8 thick so had a nice thickness to it. I might get a chance to play with it later today and see if this is a real solution while still maintaining a "rope" look and flexibility of a rope so that it could be coiled for storage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts