Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People driving by the house to watch the progress of our decor has started! I live on a corner in a cul de sac. People have been pulling in and driving by slowly. We have started eating dinner in the dining room so we can watch. Lots of smiles! Love it! We are really the only people in town who decorate.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That's great! We will start putting the cemetery in our yard up this weekend, and I know that a lot of people out for a walk or taking their dogs out will stop to say hello or compliment our setup. We always see more neighbors this time of year. Enjoy the smiles!

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
We just moved into our house, so we can actually decorate for the first time in two years. Most of the drive bys we get are as they pass our neighbor. Our next door neighbor fills the yard with fun, bright inflatables and light up decor (which my kids love). We go more reserved with a haunted house cemetery look. I am excited for this year, to have a fellow halloween enthusiast for a neighbor, and getting to see some ToTs...maybe scare a couple of the older kids. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love driving down the street in my neighborhood on my way home from work and seeing the cobwebs and ghosts slowly coming out. A lot of people have begun to put up orange and purple Halloween lights on the bushes and railings. Love it!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is our fourth year in our house. I have always lived way out in the country, so never had TOT's. First year in this house I was on call at the hospital, so I wasn't home. My husband was completely worn out when I got home cause there had been so many kids. Ever since I go all out on the house. Everyone I work with knows I take vacation on Halloween. This is the very best time of year!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I admit it, sometimes those drive-bys are what keep me going! I've not been very inspired this year for various reasons and I've almost called it off a couple of times, but the evenings I've been outside adjusting lights and such and have had people drive by and slow down to look or those that drive by and yell, "looks great!" out the window, have made all the difference. I like to say I do it all for myself and, for the most part, that's true. But a little encouragement from someone who enjoys your work really goes a long way! :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, A Little Odd, the "drive-bys" are great.
This year I've learned school bus drivers are being coaxed into detouring down my street to allow a look.
A bus full of grade school kids screaming and pointing; talk about an "Oscar moment!".
Got it on video - need to make time to to edit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We're just about the only people in our neighborhood who decorate much, and we're definitely the only ones who decorate early. The past week or so I've noticed people slowing down to look as they pass by our house in the cul-de-sac. At least you know people appreciate it. I do it for myself, obviously, but I also do it for the kids/rest of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It really motivates you to keep going. The first day we started we had people beeping as they drove by and yelling out the window. I am also hoping to tackle an Axworthy Ghost this year so wanted to use bike wheels as pullys. I put a sign out asking for old bikes any condition and people started driving by and dropping off. Got 7 bikes to use in 3 days. Good drive by!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I love the drive bys. Of course for all I know, they're driving by saying "See! Every time I drive by he's standing there staring out the window! It's so creepy!"

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I love the drive bys. Of course for all I know, they're driving by saying "See! Every time I drive by he's standing there staring out the window! It's so creepy!"
And they probably drive by my house to see if they can catch the crazy lady outside in her pajamas! ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
The day after I set up the graveyard in the front, a dad out on a walk with his 2 daughters were standing in front of my house for about 5 minutes, pointing and smiling at all of the gravestones. HEAVEN! Even though I live in a cul-de-sac that doesn't get a lot of car traffic, we do have a walking path that crosses the street just in front of my house, so I'm getting a good deal of local pedestrian traffic. Let's hope that translates to a bigger ToT turnout this year!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have noticed more decorations going up at different houses every year we have lived in this area. I don't do too much outside compared to the inside but the porch area gets decorated. I will have to take some pics of the houses around us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts