·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screwed-Up Screwdriver
Serves 1
1/4 cup ice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 ounces black vodka ( I made this with vodka and black food coloring)
1 black licorice twist, for serving (Optional)
Place ice in a tall glass. Pour juice into glass. Add vodka so it sits on top of juice and creates a layer of black. Slice 1/4 inch off each end of licorice, and use as a straw. Serve immediately. Individuals may wish to mix the drink before consuming it.
Science: This is a layered drink that depends on the difference in density.

Pina Ghoulada

This is a good drink to have on hand for quick serving to many people. The blood red drizzles on the glass are a perfect Halloween accent.
FOR THE "BLOOD"
• 3 tablespoons simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water (heat to dissolve then cool)
• 1/4 teaspoons red food coloring
FOR THE DRINK
• 20 ounces pineapple juice
• 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup orange juice
• 10 ounces rum
• Pour the corn syrup in a shallow bowl. Dip a toothpick into the food coloring, and stir a very small amount into the syrup to combine. Hold a glass by the stem, dip rim into the syrup mixture, and turn glass, coating entire rim. Turn the glass upright, allowing mixture to drip down sides. Dip the remaining glasses. Set aside.
• Whisk together drink ingredients. Place 2 1/2 cups ice in a blender, and add 1 cup drink mixture. Blend until smooth; add more pineapple juice if mixture is too thick. Repeat with remaining ice and mixture. Carefully pour into prepared glasses; serve.

Science: This is a good drink to discuss solubility. Sugar’s solubility in water increases dramatically with temperature. People who have added sugar to their cereal will usually note a grainy leftover because in cold water sugar is not very soluble but when water is near boiling you can dissolve much more sugar.

The Jellyfish
This is also a basic layered drink like the Alien Hemorrhage but it tastes like chocolate.
1/2 oz. Crème de Cacao (White)
1/2 oz. Amaretto
1/2 oz. Irish Cream
3 Drops of Grenadine
Pour in layers the white Crème de Cacao then the amaretto and finally the Irish cream in a shot glass. Add 3 drops of grenadine in the center of the shot.
Science : The layering depends on density

Alien Hemorrhage
o 3/4 ounce peach liqueur
o 1/2 ounce Irish cream
o 1/4 ounce blue curaçao
o Splash grenadine
Directions:
1. Pour the peach liqueur into a shot glass.
2. Gently add the Irish cream into the shot glass to create a floating layer on top. Drip the blue curaçao and then the grenadine from several inches above the glass.

Science: The layering depends on density. It tastes good but personally I could not get the dramatic look that I saw in the online pictures. I posted my pictures on facebook.

Screaming 7
2 parts Vodka
4 Parts 7-up
juice of 1/2 Lime
1 Lime wedge
Mix ingredients and serve over tonic water ice cubes.
Science: The quinine in tonic water absorbs UV radiation (black light) and reradiates the blue colored visible light.

Goblet of Fire
Ingredients:
• 1 oz vodka
• 1 oz blue curacao
• 3 oz lemonade
• Everclear
• Pinch of cinnamon
Directions:
• Pour vodka, blue curacao, and lemonade into a goblet-type glass
• Top with a splash of everclear
• Light on fire
• Add the pinch of cinnamon to the flames (cinnamon will spark)

Reactions: danimal3114u
1 - 1 of 1 Posts