Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm not the moral police, I've seen a trend in the last five or six years and it's been on my mind. Parents or guardians are out trick or treating with the kids and some of them are towing around coolers in their wagons. They're even handing out cold ones to friends and neighbors. I'm all about having fun but I can never figure out why spending a few hours of your time once a year with your child requires a six pack in tow. My opinion is save the drinking until you get home and let the kids have their fun.

I hesitated about bringing this up since I know I can't tell people what to do. I'm simply inquiring because I wanted to know if the "beers in tow" is happening in other communities.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
With me and my neighbors it's always like King Of The Hill when ever we see each other out working on something around our houses. One year taking my boy t&t I was dressed as an Australian cowboy, and I did carry a single can of Fosters with me as a prop... of course! ;)

But I agree towing around a wagon full is somewhat over doing it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ive never heard of such!! Theyre going TOTing not a Nascar race! Im a HUGE nascar fan and at the races theres rarely a person seen without a cooler on wheels full of beer. Not poking fun at anyone cause my hubbys got his cooler right along with the rest of them! lmao but towing beer along while TOTing... not cool in my opinion

·
Magic Man (Taken)
725 Posts
Kansas has always had a love/hate relationship with alcohol. Carey Nation was from Kansas and smashed up many a saloon here. As far as drinking on Halloween, people in my small town in Kansas drink for any reason, baseball, football games, Halloween, every major holiday, and a lot of minor ones as well. In any given month, there is at least a big party a week here. And yes, they do drink and take the kids ToT'ing as well. Halloween, no matter what day it falls on is a party night. I agree that it is shocking to see parents taking their kid out to TOT and drinking, but here, that is the norm. Most trucks, it is rural, have permanent coolers in the back with ice cold beer in them. That is year round.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
I've seen Trick or Beer out here in Utah, even. But not people hauling around the beer. I do keep a couple cold ones on hand in case a Trick or Beerer comes around, though. (Shocked my frat boy neighbors someone in Utah knew of such a thing)

·
Horror off the Highway
1,795 Posts
Wow really? I never heard of that in all my life! Besides...............isn't it illegal to be doing that anyways??

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
well, i've never seen or heard of that being done before. just seems tot is for the kids and such a short time frame, why not wait till you get home for the beer. and like mistress said, i would think you might be asking for a risky public intoxication moment. why would one want to subject their tot to that chance. i wouldn't think that to fun.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
Well as far as I know, in quite a few states there are public intoxication laws and open containers in public laws so its a hard one to think of actually happening.

Not to mention some underage kid could sneak one while you are distracted, or you may hand them one not thinking and then you are busted for providing to a minor.

It just seems like a bad idea. Wait until you get home. If you can't go a few hours without a drink, then seek help.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yep it would be a definite violation of open container laws here. Of course I'm deep in the heart of "Bubba-land" so I'm sure there are plenty that do it anyway. You know, can't leave home without your Keystone...

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Yep it would be a definite violation of open container laws here. Of course I'm deep in the heart of "Bubba-land" so I'm sure there are plenty that do it anyway. You know, can't leave home without your Keystone...
Keystone gotta be the worse beer made. I would prefer Scotchbuy Brand (remember that?) or goat pee over Keystone. LOL

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I have honestly never heard of this. I am disturbed by it. Keep the drinking for after the TOT's are in bed. Taking your child out for TOT is all for the children and it is the adult's responcibility to provide a fun evening for their kids. It is not adult social time. I can't believe a parent would do this!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hand out mixed drinks to the parents on Halloween in little plastic cups. Nothing major or anything just like a spiked punch. They either love it or just say no thanks. LOL.

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
I don't know, just seems like it puts out the wrong kind of message to kids? I don't know, but I agree, if they are out with the kids they should wait til the get home, especially if they are driving, but walking drunk can be a hazard as well, especially for those who can't "hold" their alcohol in the first place and make a complete jack of themselves when drunk.
Just my personal opinion

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dont know about actually dragging a cooler with me however theres one or two stops on my road that will hand out a beer. Personally I dont see a problem. That is if your a responsible ADULT. My kids have never nor will they ever see daddy intoxicated. Is it a bad influence to see adults drink say one or to adult beverages responsibly? I say no but thats just me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah-- thanks everyone. Not that it's huge deal as long as no one is driving. It simply seems more common each year and it got me wondering what everyone else sees out there.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Holy cow. I have never, ever, ever, ever seen this in any neighborhood I've lived in. I just can't picture it.

It's not like we live in a dry neighborhood or anything, people kick back with a cold one but usually *inside* their own houses!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oh my! well...um yeah...we are one of "those" parents. I mean, we don't have a cooler on wheels behind us by any means!! But there is always a group of us good friends - 10-12 of us adults, and we walk our kids around, and yeah, the guys will carry a beer (poured into a BubbaMug), and have one or two in their coat pockets. It's not like it's a rip roaring party or anything. And as for me and my girls, we have our own monogrammed flasks full of whatever spirits we like. ;)

As for waiting til after, usually (not this year it's on a Saturday) it's a work/school night, and when we get home and go through candy, and clean up and shower and all - it's bed time! No one is hanging around drinking then.

·
Registered
946 Posts
That's just so... wrong. What kind of memories are you creating for you kid? Who wants to remember their parent(s) getting drunk while trick or treating?

Before anyone gets offend, I'm not saying the part about it being alcohol is bad but it's obvious that the parent can't spend time with their child unless they have a drink. And that's a shame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts