Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. It's been well over a year since I've been on so I'm refreshing myself with everything.
I looked up every sort of word variation for my question, and nothing came up. So I decided to ask right here. If this isn't a good spot for my question, I apologize. And please let me know if it gets moved. Thanks.
OK, NOW, LOL,..the question,....some of my rubber props are starting to dry out, and get hard, and crack. I don't want that to start happening to all my props, so is there anything I can put on my rubber props that will keep it from drying out?
And all my rubber props are kept in a closet that has an average temp of 70 degrees. No attic or basement for these bad boys.LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are the props rubber or latex? I know that over time light degrades latex at any temperature. But in a climate control closet, assuming the closet doesn't have a window, I have no idea. I read your post yesterday and was hoping that someone would have ideas for you by now. I'm interested in the opinions and experiences of the long time haunters on here relating to this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Definitely interested to hear if your props are rubber or latex. I've never had any issues with any of my rubber props, and they're outside from the 1st of the month till the 31st. Maybe try water proofing them??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure. These are props bought from a popular Halloween shop. Maybe latex. Nothing is put outside. I live in an apartment so it's all in there. No light during the season. I seal off my windows with black bags and curtains to make it dark. They rarely see light. Lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
99 cent clear silicone sealant from Walmart....goes on white, dries clear....gave my props a new lease on life...even fills the gaps....actually makes them look better IMO...been doing this for years....works wonders...doesn't matter if they're rubber or latex....works on both....no acetone, so it won't degrade your material further...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Craigsr. I will definitely try it out. Cant do any worse right?! Lol. If you have a pic of the product, feel free to P.M. me it. Make sure I get the correct stuff.
I'll post my results.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool prop Creeper!
LMAO Craigs... that aint 99 cents! Hahaha.
Thought it would have been a spray. Thanks for answerin my question without me askin, bout how you applied it.
I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks again! I'll post a pic of it also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually silicone tubes like the one posted up top are about 3.50$ a tube. Small oz ones are about 2$. Look for a Polyurethane or SparUrethane spray. I've seen them at Menards in Illinois or try Lowe's, Home Depot.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I did the silicone caulk because a few latex props I got second hand were doing this because they were stored in an attic. Worked great and made them stronger can paint over too to cover the cracks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I use an easy, not terribly messy product-- UV Tech. It's a cleaner, protectant, and "rejuvenator " designed keep watersports gear (snorkels, fins, drysuits, life vests, rubber rafts, kayaks, and so on) from sun and water damage. It says, "For Neoprene, Vinyl, Latex, Rubber and Plastic". (I'll forgive it not using the Oxford comma, because it works for me.) :rolleyes:
I put coating on my latex and plastic props before I put them out (or place them indoors), and again to clean them up when I take them in after Halloween. You can brush it on, or rub it on with a cloth. I find a brush better for getting into crevices. I don't know whether it's a miracle product, but I do have some pretty old latex props that are still in good shape, so I'm sticking with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts