Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my Dremel Stylus that died last month, but don't have a lot of spare cash to upgrade to a high end dremel. Instead I'm looking for a rotary tool without a battery to do basic detail work.

After searching the web I've come down to a Black and Decker RTX $29.00 on Amazon, and a Dremel 200 for $44.98

B&D RTX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MUSLCC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Dremel 200 http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-200-1-15-Two-Speed-Rotary/dp/B002BAHF8W/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1434380618&sr=1-14&keywords=dremel&pebp=1434380634652&perid=C719DDE1DADD4B8FBC45

I already have a large accessory pack from Harbor Freight that will work with either, so I just need the tool. To me it seems like the B&D is a better deal.

Advice?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I always suggest buying the best tools you can afford, in the long run it will repay you 10x.

Look for a deal on a dremel 4000. Mine is about 15 years old and still going like the day I bought it.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
One thing to consider is accessories. Dremel has a lot of extras you can purchase. I am not familiar with the B&D and what all it has to offer. You may want to search around the big box stores as well this week. With Father's Day right around the corner, you might find a special deal locally. :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I think harbor freight sells a small little dremel like tool for 10.00.
My personal experience with these are that you are purchasing a "one job tool".
I had one that lasted about 20-30 uses, and broke.

Then again, that's exactly what I expect from Harbor Freight tools - I buy them if I don't expect a quality tool (some jobs need a tool that I'll likely never need after that - like that reverse-thread left-handed Ballinger hemeostat).

·
Registered
668 Posts
I had that same B&D rotary tool. Lasted about ten years of hard use. The speed dial is what went wrong. It would fluctuate speed no matter the setting unless I put pressure on it. I took it apart to clean but the problem persisted. I now keep it for when I don't need speed control and just full throttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10 years use is a good service life.

My Dremel Stylus lasted 8 before it crapped out.

I might go with the B&D and give it a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had that B&D tool for about a year and have not had any issues. What I found odd is that the description says it is 3 speed, and the wheel is labeled low, med and hi, but when you turned it, it was variable speed between the settings.

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1 for Dremmel 4000, however if its out of budget than its not an option. As we are down to 110 days until display build day, saving up for a tool you need is not practical.

B&D have some decent tools and you are not paying for a name on the unit. Check and see if they have an outlet mall near you as we had a B&D store that had factory refurb items at a fraction of new. My little 18v battery powered chainsaw was only $25.

Also, depending on what you are using it for HF tools are not a bad option. I have been pleasantly surprised with some of their stuff lately-the quality is going up. My vibrating cut off tool is HF and it's been fantastic for 2 years. Is it something I would use to make a living with? no, however for hobby use it's worth a look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 for Dremmel 4000, however if its out of budget than its not an option. As we are down to 110 days until display build day, saving up for a tool you need is not practical.

B&D have some decent tools and you are not paying for a name on the unit. Check and see if they have an outlet mall near you as we had a B&D store that had factory refurb items at a fraction of new. My little 18v battery powered chainsaw was only $25.

Also, depending on what you are using it for HF tools are not a bad option. I have been pleasantly surprised with some of their stuff lately-the quality is going up. My vibrating cut off tool is HF and it's been fantastic for 2 years. Is it something I would use to make a living with? no, however for hobby use it's worth a look.
If I could afford it, I would get two Dremel 4000's without even thinking about it. Unfortunately money is tight given my current list of projects and I can only afford a $30-$40 Dremel like tool that can last 5+ years. I still need to get a table saw for under $200 and have to upgrade my work bench so I can move my Skill miter saw into a retractable rollout drawer vs. eating up most of my work space. All of this is just workshop additions and upgrades, outside of the props I plan to build over the next 110 days. So money and quality is a major deciding factor for me right now.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I agree that the Dremel is the better quality tool, but I think that based upon the feedback so far, that the B&D knockoff will do just fine in the interim.

Plus the money I save on this, will allow me to purchase more materials to get even more props complete!!

I'll post some pictures and an update when I get the B&D in the mail from Amazon and take her for a test run. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future who are stuck in a budget vise and are looking to pinch some pennies.

I do know that the HF knockoff Dremel is a piece of junk. I tried that out last week and it literally fell apart in my hands a good hour into my project. I wasn't torturing it either, just doing some light detail work on my Mandalorian helmet fiberglass armature. HF does make some nice tools, but their Dremel knockoff isn't one of them. I have a HF reciprocating saw that works good enough. Its been handy in dismantling a huge stack of pallet wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts