Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all the great stones on this board and the cost savings, I am attempting to make my own this year. Can someone tell me exactly what kind of Dremel tool and accessories I need? If you can post a link, that would be great!!!!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
I'm on 4th year with the same Dremel, no problems. I also swear by the routing/cutting kit that Terra shows, there are bigger and more expensive ones out there, but this one is perfect for working stones.

I also use a couple of additional cutting and routing bits. I have the 682 router set: Amazon.com: Dremel 692 6-Piece Router Bit Set: Home Improvement

And I have the 689 cutting set: Amazon.com: Dremel 689-01 11-Piece Rotary Tool Carving and Engraving Kit: Home Improvement

And I plan on purchasing the Dremel Straight Edge and Circle Cutter this week, tired of the old string and pencil method!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!!! So if I bought theDremel 565 Multi Purpose Cutting Kit 565D, that's all I would need to get started with cutting my own tombstones?

Does Michaels or any other physical location you know of sell this exact model?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Thanks all!!! So if I bought theDremel 565 Multi Purpose Cutting Kit 565D, that's all I would need to get started with cutting my own tombstones?

Does Michaels or any other physical location you know of sell this exact model?
Basically, yes. I use the bits that come with the kit (can't remember which one -drywall or multi). I think it was the multi but I have used the drywall bit a couple of times and that works good too. You can get the kit at Home Depot if they have one in stock. Mine did. Oh, be sure to use the low speed on the Dremel. The high speed melts the foam.

WEAR A MASK! That stuff is unpleasant to cough up.

There are a few other tools I use. Mainly a Stanley SureForm Shaver and a can a spray paint (some people don't like this but I love it). I also like to use a jig saw to cut out the basic shape from the sheet of foam.

I have a tutorial showing how I make my stones and the tools I use, if you are interested here: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Tutorial: Ancient Tombstones

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
Hey Terra, I found that I like using a steak knife even better then a jig saw. Feel like I have more control and less likely to have an oops moment! Plus theres the act of stabbing and slicing, seems like the right thing to use a steak knife for! lol

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
It is definitely a given that pro tools are expensive, and I just love the junk mail fairy for REintroducing me to Harbor Freight where I might actually be able to get some tools (the more heavy duty tools that are not required for working on vehicles....I have plenty of those things to work with) on my small unemployment check!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am planning to make my own tombstones for the first time this year also. I should really get that kit, basically turns the dremel into a router eh?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, thanks for the info Terra. I'll be checking out that how to you provided.:D

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
found

I found this page Harbor Freight Tools And I was wondering if you dremel experts might think this will work too. Works better with my budget!

Also what tips do you use? Ex: making tombstones

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I found this page Harbor Freight Tools And I was wondering if you dremel experts might think this will work too. Works better with my budget!

Also what tips do you use? Ex: making tombstones
I just see a bunch of kits on that page so I don't know what you are referring too. The accessory that comes with the cutting kits is very important. It allows you to cut at the same depth so you have a nice consistent epitaph and designs. See in this picture how it makes your Dremel into a bit of a router?

The only other tip I use so far is the grinding stone. It makes great smooth cuts that help make the foam look like it was chipped stone (see top picture):

1 - 18 of 18 Posts