Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading other posts, I realize that this prop has problems. My Shivers still moves head, eyes light up, beacker glows, but I have no sound. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? I have tried all the obvious- connections and volume. He even will move his mouth if you have it on manual, but still no sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No mic either

I just took shivers out and set him up. He does not move his mouth with the mic. either.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have two of these. The first did exactly what your is doing. All I can say is, make sure the head is all the way down and latched. That will keep it from working properly. My first one broke and I never got it to work again. The head and eyes still move so I turned it into a zombie prop by putting and mask over the head and clothes from Goodwill. The second one has held up a little better. Sometimes if I don't get the head all the way down, there will be no sound. Keep in mind that the Gemmy props are not made that well.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sometimes if I don't get the head all the way down, there will be no sound. Keep in mind that the Gemmy props are not made that well.
I agee. The life size gemmys are not made to last forever. Store them in dry, warm areas and don't just leave them on for weeks before Hallween. Still, some day the nylon / plastic parts will break ... and they are difficult or impossible to repair. At that time you have a prop that still looks real.

Regarding the sounds for the Gemmys, I've had some luck taking the bottom off the stand and playing around with the wires. You might find one that is brittle and / or poorly soldered. Just moving it will regain the sound ... or not.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
All I can add is what you did - check the connections. BUT - just because the rubber sleeve over a solder is intact, don't assume that the connection underneath is solid. And like LT Scare said, check the board in the base.
On a similar note, I haven't gotten the flashing eyes and beaker working yet...

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
After reading all these posts about dr. shivers, i know i will not be buying one.It would be much better to make your own with better components that will last over the years. If gemmy keeps making junk i dont expect that they will be around long. If they want people to spend thier money on thier props then they need to do a better job and use better materials.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've exposed the board and it doesn't seem that any wires are loose or broken. I've brought the transformer to Radio shack to be tested and it is fine. I've stored it in premium indoor storage so I don't think the elements got to it. I either find someone who can work on boards or just accept it as a static prop. It's too bad because when it did work, it was great. I have had luck with the fortune teller head thing coming back to life after fiddling, so who knows.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Try taking the head off and putting it back on a few times. Make sure the head is down all the way. Like I said, I have two of these. The sound died on the first one and will not work again. On the second, sometimes if the head is not locked down all the way, the sound will not come on but I can usually get it going.
I am retiring the second one this year anyway in exchange for a live actor!!!
I may turn him into a zombie like the first one.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Oh bloody hell. My Dr. Shiver took a dump tonight. The microphone in stopped working the other day but the built-in program and the aux in were still fine. I powered him up tonight and no more aux input or audio of any kind. All the animatronics still work in sensor mode but that's it.

Has anyone delved deeper in Dr. Shivers while troubleshooting? The wiring is a mess and the board looks like it's from 1970. I haven't looked in the head yet but I will soon.

Mike

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Oh bloody hell. My Dr. Shiver took a dump tonight. The microphone in stopped working the other day but the built-in program and the aux in were still fine. I powered him up tonight and no more aux input or audio of any kind. All the animatronics still work in sensor mode but that's it.

Has anyone delved deeper in Dr. Shivers while troubleshooting? The wiring is a mess and the board looks like it's from 1970. I haven't looked in the head yet but I will soon.

Mike

Man, OpenTrackRacer, what horrible luck. I just saw your Dead End Manor post and he looked so perfect standing there. I hope you'll be able to resuscitate him. I wonder if the weather or temperatures has affected his wiring and/or connections. Assume you are running him off of A/C?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try collapsing him and setting him up again ... several times if necessary. I have also had luck removing the bottom of the base and while wearing a thick rubber glove, played with the circuits - pressing gently, moving wires just a bit. It could be an electrical short or a poor (cold) solder connection. FWIW

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
It's not looking good. I've inspected all the wires in the base and there does not seem to be any loose connections. It's a spaghetti mess and I couldn't even start to troubleshoot it without a schematic. I've packed him down and stood him up, played with the head and power cycled it a bunch of times without success. Right now I have him standing headless and I'm rewriting my script and prop routine to deal with it. It's not going to be as good but at this point I have no other choice. Still... better for him to fail now than on Halloween.

Mike

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had the same problem with the first one I bought a few years ago. I hate to tell you but I never got it working again. I bought another one last year and it still works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts