Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty then, thought I would create this post to show what Dr D is all about lol...
This is it, my labor of love, the reason the good Lord above created weekends!

A quick history lesson... I was at a yard sale and found a cool old console radio. The idea hit me right there, make a little mad scientist "station" in my basement. Im no prop builder, but hey I will give it a shot. It could only last a couple weekends, what could go wrong?

Cabinetry Drawer Wood Table Wood stain

That was over 10 years ago. And what once was a weekend project has become an obsession. What was once the corner of a basement has become an entire room.
Now I spend my time scouring yard sales, auctions, ebay, and many other outlets searching for the pieces I need to create this static "prop".
Ive found a few pieces that are "mostly" ready to go, but 99% of this lab is scratch built. A bolt here, a skull there. Trial, error, more error, lots of error, emotional distress, therapy, and finally...satisfaction! A couple more pics...

Brown Wood Gas Metal Artifact

Office equipment Wood Electronic instrument Gas Machine

Wood Artifact Metal Antique Room

This has all the bells and whistles that I am able to build (think: bzzzzzt, bzzzzzzzzzzt, blink, blink, chugga chugga, braaaap).
SO this is it...thanks for giving up a few minutes of your time! Id love any questions, positive or negative comments, or ideas you may have. Thats why we are here
on this site right? To share our passion of all things spooky, different,
Cabinetry Drawer Wood Table Wood stain
Brown Wood Gas Metal Artifact
Office equipment Wood Electronic instrument Gas Machine
Wood Artifact Metal Antique Room
macabre!

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Oh my goodness - that's an awesome set up! Very creative use of bits and bobs and the subject (mad lab) is near to my heart so I'm definitely a fan! :love:

Reactions: DrDefective

Caretaker of Eerie Manor
Love this! Much of the appeal is that everything looks well aged. The level of detail is amazing!

Reactions: DrDefective

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love this! Much of the appeal is that everything looks well aged. The level of detail is amazing!
I do appreciate it! That is exactly the "look" and feel I'm going for. I do my best to use old, aged, and used parts, when I can't ive learned how to age parts to give me the look I want. I get so friggin picky, even down to what type of screw to use on each piece lol.

Registered
The photos, were of great interest to Home Land Security.
Until I informed them, I found them posted on Halloween Forum and their response was, "oh one of them!". And I haven't heard back from them since. I was hoping for reward money to buy some new props form Distortions.
You mention static, I think you need to add a vibration motor to the cabinet along with some fog, both intermittent. Please video tape the Real Estate Agent and Home Inspectors reaction, when you go to sell!
Jerseyscare
(looksgreat)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The photos, were of great interest to Home Land Security.
Until I informed them, I found them posted on Halloween Forum and their response was, "oh one of them!". And I haven't heard back from them since. I was hoping for reward money to buy some new props form Distortions.
You mention static, I think you need to add a vibration motor to the cabinet along with some fog, both intermittent. Please video tape the Real Estate Agent and Home Inspectors reaction, when you go to sell!
Jerseyscare
(looksgreat)
Lol Im sure Im on a list somewhere with all the lab glass and devices Ive bought throughout the years. And you know, it has crossed my mind, because eventually someday ( in the faaaar distant future) the house will wind up in someone elses hands. Hopefully my son will want it and keep the fire going, but if not, Id love to see a realtor explain it to a potential buyer!
I apologize I wont be able to help you add to your collection with any reward money,but I will send haunted wishes your way that you will get at least one of everything youve ever wanted! And thank you for the kind words!

Registered
Looks great! and must have been fun creating over the years. Stumbling upon 鈥渏ust the right thing鈥 at resale stores or yard sales can lead you down the creative path and stoke the imagination. And you have one impressive mad lab out of it now. Very cool. Is there a monster in the coffin trying to get out? I love all the pipe work鈥orth a fortune in copper or is it 鈥渃opperized鈥 pvc?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great! and must have been fun creating over the years. Stumbling upon 鈥渏ust the right thing鈥 at resale stores or yard sales can lead you down the creative path and stoke the imagination. And you have one impressive mad lab out of it now. Very cool. Is there a monster in the coffin trying to get out? I love all the pipe work鈥orth a fortune in copper or is it 鈥渃opperized鈥 pvc?
Appreciate the compliments there Ghost! Yeah its funny what brings on the inspiration. You look at things differently when your building something. Say you come across an old radio, someone would go "wow what a cool radio" and I would be thinking " I could use the tuning knob off of that! " lol. Plenty of monsters in coffins (consider them failed experiments). Trial and error right?
As far as the copper goes, its a little bit of both. Most of the smaller diameter is copper, the larger diameter is CPVC that I aged with paint. I like the way it looks (and a lot less expensive!). luckily I work in an industry where I can get my hands on the smaller stuff when necessary.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been getting lots done on the lab. Specifically the "medical" side with lab glass, tubes, condensers, brain in a jar etc. I will try to get some pics up soon. Thought I would post a pic of this little piece I whipped
up the other week. I needed to fill some space on the wall ( I like the busy busy look) so I grabbed a couple parts I had laying around...

Electronic component Cable Technology Electrical supply Wire

And came up with this little piece...

Handle Door Wood Door knocker Gas

Wood Household hardware Handle Gas Door handle

Theres a place to attached tubing onto it so it will become an intimate part of the lab.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts