Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not for the life of me find Dow blue RS styrofoam here in California.
Can anyone direct me to a source either locally or online? Maybe if your local hardware supply has it we can work out a solution where you buy and ship and I reimburse via paypal? Please let me know, I really want to make some cool tombstones this year!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I don't understand why it is so hard to find out west! The construction sites I've seen use it as a frame to pour the cement foundations of the homes they are building. Don't they do it like that all across the country? They then toss it and in most cases it's just a little dirty and still usable for stones. Best bet is to stop and ask someone at a job site...tell them what you need it for(mention "kids") and they usually are very helpful :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can not for the life of me find Dow blue RS styrofoam here in California.
Can anyone direct me to a source either locally or online? Maybe if your local hardware supply has it we can work out a solution where you buy and ship and I reimburse via paypal? Please let me know, I really want to make some cool tombstones this year!

Thanks!
Try looking for the pink foam board at lowes,Menards,Home depot or a lumber yard.. I believe the pink board is just the Owens Corning version of the blue board.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've used the white extruded foam & have had good results with it.
Besides it's much cheaper then either the blue or red foam. Using the "wet technique" on them works fantastic for aging them.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
The product you are looking for is extruded polystyrene and is sold by Corning under the trademarks Celfort and Cel Lok. I haven't seen it for years in CA. Most likely because it releases toxic fumes when heated or even sanded, but let us all know if you find a source for the undead on the West coast.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
Grimlock, if you're in Southern California, check Foam Sales & Marketing in Burbank. They have it - but it's definitely pricey. I just bought a sheet (blue foam) of 2' x 8' x 3" thick and it was $53 per sheet. But you can get a few stones out of it, so to me it's worth it. Good luck!!

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well it might not be good for you but if you notice just about everything construction related says state of cali. says it can cause cancer. The better question is what doesnt cause cancer. On another note i wouldnt risk it if 1 says causes problems thats enough for me i will wear protection.

Seriously?! :eek: Now I'm a bit worried. I sanded boatloads of that stuff and did some hot wire cutting as well. I wore a mask some of the time...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Grimlock, if you're in Southern California, check Foam Sales & Marketing in Burbank. They have it - but it's definitely pricey. I just bought a sheet (blue foam) of 2' x 8' x 3" thick and it was $53 per sheet. But you can get a few stones out of it, so to me it's worth it. Good luck!!
Man, that is expensive! I bought white foam board in the same dimensions for like $25 at Home Depot!

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
I am in Arizona too and a couple of the Home Depots by me use to carry the pink Owens, but they have discontinued it. They just don't use it here for construction, and the blue here does have the ridges which for me, is not worth the time to try and cover.
I have had pretty good luck with the white, I just give it a thin coat of Monster mud before painting.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
908 Posts
the blue foam is much more dense and easier to shape. Also I wouldn't recommend cutting it with a hot wire. We got 3" thick and used hot wire and it came out awful. Lots of ripples. We went to homedepot and got a 5" jigsaw blade that works awesome and NO fumes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought the pink sheets for just under $18 an 8 foot sheet. I cut with jig saw using a pipe cutting blade which gives a fairly smooth finish but not a perfectly smooth finish. I like the roughish look so I don't sand them afterwards. I liberally coat them with grey tinted indoor/outdoor Kilz I had left over from another project. I spray paint mine with Krylon Primer. I take a can of flat black spray paint widen the nozzel with a toothpick and from a height of 2 feet "dust" them. Im currently working up the courage to do what many of you have done with animatronics such as putting faces/eyeballs, etc., on my tombstones.
Is there a Halloween Props for Dummies yet?

Lee
Kilz goes on thick enough to cover the ridges

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
the blue foam is much more dense and easier to shape. Also I wouldn't recommend cutting it with a hot wire. We got 3" thick and used hot wire and it came out awful. Lots of ripples. We went to homedepot and got a 5" jigsaw blade that works awesome and NO fumes!

I agree about the ripples. I just bought the hot wire table and tried that on 3" and it did not go well at all. There were ripples everywhere and I really had to sand it forever to get a smooth edge. That thickness really needs the jigsaw IMHO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I found here in MD that places that sell trailers, like for cars and landscaping (tractor suppy), have like 2ft cubes of white styro foam that come between the stacked trailer on delivery to the store. here they sell them for a buck each to people for Bow and Arrow target practice.

also I use a soldering gun to cut letters in the foam , and then use a torpedo K1 heater to "melt in " the surface, gives a nice craved stone texture then paint the letters black and then roll on gray for the rest.

myra main stone

1 - 20 of 20 Posts