Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm diving into this aspect of haunting for the first time. I'm borrowing projectors from all over and am going with 3. 2 for window creeps and one for singing pumpkins. Any tips or tricks out there? I'm going to try and sync the video with my light o rama display. Still trying to figure that part out though.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
For window projections people prefer a projector with higher lumens, such as 2000 or so. It offers better resolution and sharper image. Lower lumens such as those found on the Wonder Wall produce a darker, blurry washed out image when used from a greater distance

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For window projections people prefer a projector with higher lumens, such as 2000 or so. It offers better resolution and sharper image. Lower lumens such as those found on the Wonder Wall produce a darker, blurry washed out image when used from a greater distance
Right. Sorry I didn't understand at first. yes nothing under 2000.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its sad but I bought a projector on ebay but when I received it the picture has about 30 white spots throughout the picture and the repair shop said it would cost between 200 and 250 dollars to fix because a chip has to be replaced. Of course the seller is fighting me on this. I hate dishonest sellers.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
Last October was the first time I used Hallowindows, it was great, kids really liked it, this year I would like to try AtmosfearX

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you have any recommendations on projectors?

BTW, if you haven't checked it out, window creeps is pretty good.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
Don't have s recommendation, there are so many out there, mines a big old but it gets the job done. It's a Cinego, bought it at RadioShack, has a built in dvd player and came with a subwoofer

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
what the christmas lighting guys do, is use an fm transmitter and post a sign with the fm frequency.

so people driving by can hear the music.
Or in this case the sound fx.

if you are using something like hallowindow. the audio track is as interesting as the animation.
you can split the audio and send 1/2 to the speakers and 1/2 the fm transmitter.

there is a website where you can enter your location and find vacant fm frequencies to tune you fm transmitter to.

building and interesting, eye grabing sign is a fun small project.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This year I'm extending my projection count from one to four windows. Also adding sound to one (or maybe two) of the projections via Bluetooth. I have a mix of projectors including one of the 3M portables from Amazon. It was priced right and is bright enough for a standard width window if the exterior light wash isn't too bright.

projector: http://www.amazon.com/3M-MP225a-Mobile-Projector/dp/B005LU2Z2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377437234&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+projector

Paired with this cable: http://www.amazon.com/3M-MP-160-180-Projector/dp/B004HIM428/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Read more here: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/127951-found-really-awesome-projector-use-home-haunts.html

I'm doing sound with this Bluetooth transmitter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DO6X2N4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this receiver/speaker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG0SH7E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If you are using white plastic on the windows to project on, make sure it is of the smooth, shiny variety. I thought I could cheap out one year and use plain old white tablecloth plastic from the party store.

Ummmm.... no.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you are using white plastic on the windows to project on, make sure it is of the smooth, shiny variety. I thought I could cheap out one year and use plain old white tablecloth plastic from the party store.

Ummmm.... no.
Interesting. I used a white plastic table cloth last year and it looked great. This was on the second floor though so maybe whatever problems you had were related to fuzziness? I had Hallowindow's "The Eye" on the second floor above the front door and it looked just fine.

Differences were probably in the setup (projector, distance, etc.)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Interesting. I used a white plastic table cloth last year and it looked great. This was on the second floor though so maybe whatever problems you had were related to fuzziness? I had Hallowindow's "The Eye" on the second floor above the front door and it looked just fine.

Differences were probably in the setup (projector, distance, etc.)
That is what I used as well, just a cheap white plastic table cloth from the dollar store and it worked fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Ummmm.... no.
Shower curtain liners work great and are super cheap.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Maybe the plastic sheeting I got from the Party Store was too matte. All I know is that with my second-floor projection, there was a huge difference between the shiny "screen" provided with my first VHS ghost projector and the white plastic tablecloths I tried to substitute later. Both worked, but the shiny surfaced plastic worked MUCH better. If I had never used the shiny version first, I wouldn't have known there was such a difference... especially with lower lumen projectors.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,122 Posts
So, a couple quick do's and dont's based on the context so far, and my experiences with using projection and LOR:

• Do incorporate one of your projectors/videos into your LOR display and sequences.
  • Don't give up on it as it adds a nice dimension to your synchronized show.
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts