Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has a home in their neighborhood that takes politics WAY too seriously.

We have one. I've run into him a few times and got in his face more than once.

A neighbor called me up who lives across the street from him and told me he put up a profanity laden political sign obviously home made. She has 3 kids, one 4, one 2 and one 6.

I couldn't believe it especially with Halloween coming up how anyone would be this callus to children who will obviously see it and adults who obviously will be upset by it.

I called our local police rep and she said to call 9-1-1 and submit a complaint about the sign. She also said though to make sure the police go, to leave your name with the police. I gave it knowing there was a possibility it could get back to this jerk but it had to be done. The worst part is he votes the same way I do. Its embarrassing and actually makes me madder when I think about it.

Don't let jerks ruin Halloween! Report them! You do have the right!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree, that is why I will not put up any political sign until the day after Halloween. I've had to look at my neighbors signs, which are just the run of the mill type, and grit my teeth.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no fan of the signs period but when you start cursing in your little home made signs, thats gone too far

·
Registered
254 Posts
Everyone has a home in their neighborhood that takes politics WAY too seriously.

I called our local police rep and she said to call 9-1-1 and submit a complaint about the sign. She also said though to make sure the police go, to leave your name with the police. I gave it knowing there was a possibility it could get back to this jerk but it had to be done. The worst part is he votes the same way I do. Its embarrassing and actually makes me madder when I think about it.
I have to say I am surprised the rep said to call 911 as it really should only be used for emergencies. Seems like it should have been her job or non-emergency dispatch to log the complaint and pass it on to the appropriate department/officer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
correct, that is one of the things dispatchers HATE dealing with. Meanwhile the guy having the heart attack is on hold...

Teaching kids hate, it should be enough to allow child services to take kids away from people.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say I am surprised the rep said to call 911 as it really should only be used for emergencies. Seems like it should have been her job or non-emergency dispatch to log the complaint and pass it on to the appropriate department/officer.
I thought the same thing but the police encourage us to use 9 11 that way at every neighborhood meeting.

I also called the local opposition party leader whom I know personally and he was mad as well because he has small children ready to go TOT and also doesn't want his kids seeing those kind of signs.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Okay...you said your neighbor told you about the sign. Personally, I wouldn't post a complaint unless I'd seen the sign myself. There's no way you could have been offended if you hadn't seen the sign.

My POV on politics is: I don't exactly love to see signs for opposite beliefs from mine, particularly multiple signs on one lawn. But unless they're really offensive, it's freedom of speech. Since I'm allowed the right to feel and vote the way I do, other people have the same right.

I try not to get into politics with neighbors AT ALL. Who's going to win? My kids trick-or-treat at the signs-for-the-other-party houses as much as at any other house. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay...you said your neighbor told you about the sign. Personally, I wouldn't post a complaint unless I'd seen the sign myself. There's no way you could have been offended if you hadn't seen the sign.
Um, I did see it before I called.

My POV on politics is: I don't exactly love to see signs for opposite beliefs from mine, particularly multiple signs on one lawn. But unless they're really offensive, it's freedom of speech. Since I'm allowed the right to feel and vote the way I do, other people have the same right.

I try not to get into politics with neighbors AT ALL. Who's going to win? My kids trick-or-treat at the signs-for-the-other-party houses as much as at any other house. :)
As I said, this isn't any old political sign. Putting G D America (spelled out) isn't a typical sign.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Um, I did see it before I called.
Oh, okay. It didn't say so in your OP. It said your neighbor called you and said there was a sign up. And I did say profanity doesn't fly, but I didn't know what the sign said based on your post. :) Again, I personally don't worry about the political signs in general. However, we don't have much of a problem with "unofficial" signs in my neighborhood. I basically see just the standard ones you would get from...well, I don't know where you get them from, actually. But anyway, the official signs.

I wasn't trying to offend you, I was stating my view. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a political sign in a yard and have it change their mind of who their voting for?

There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics,
and the Great Pumpkin - Charles Shultz

:eek:
Ha! No, never had. I've always wondered what the point of those signs is! I don't put them up in my yard. But then I'm kind of private about that sort of thing and don't go around "advertising" my vote. I just vote it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts