Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you put out anything to accept donations? We haven't but last year I did get one party goer give money to help with the next years party. So this year we were thinking about putting something out for donations. Have any of you done this or do you think it's wrong to do this?

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
I haven't. I just ask in the invitations for people to bring a spooky dish to share & BYOB. I do have punch and a signature cocktail or 2 & mixers, but it leave the option open for them. Last year I started a tradition of giving a trophy for the spookiest dish. :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
We've done pot luck, too. I make a good solid main dish, and as many themed desserts and sides as I get around to. It really takes the pressure off, knowing that you'll have a good variety of food even if you get in a bind for time. Personally, I feel more comfortable asking guests to bring a dish than I would asking them to donate cash.
We don't do a full bar, either. We usually have 3 theme cocktails (our adult daughter helps bartend) and a few bottles of wine. Most of our friends are pretty moderate in their drinking, so it doesn't wind up a huge expense. Nothing wrong with suggesting guests BYOB, especially if it's a very large party or they tend to drink a lot.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
personally i would never ask for donations at a party i was throwing. it would be my choice to throw the party and that is the price you pay. i would feel really weird if i was invited to a party and the host asked for money. i would not be offended if i were asked to bring a dish or byob.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,751 Posts
personally i would never ask for donations at a party i was throwing. it would be my choice to throw the party and that is the price you pay. i would feel really weird if i was invited to a party and the host asked for money. i would not be offended if i were asked to bring a dish or byob.
I am with you I would never ask for money I do this cause I love it I to would feel funny asking
. I do ask them to byob but I provide all the food .

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't ask for donations either but I do ask everyone to bring a side dish or dessert and BYOB. I supply the main dish a few sides and dessert as well as cider and pop. That leaves me more money for decorations and makes sure I have plenty of food even though only about half of the people bring food. This year I'm adding a prize for spookiest dish and best costume.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
We haven't asked for donations for another party (but we do plan on doing charitable donations next year), however I have been known to advertise a prize for the best "themed" or "goulish" dish....the added competition has always helped....this helps out big time on my budget (and all for the cost of a $5-10 prize) and like others have said we always do BYOB, I try to have one signature drink but that's it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.