Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it work? For those of you who have one, how much do you generally take in? I don't want or need one as I am not that big yet...just curious.

TIA
Kaye

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
I throw parties and have never had one....but if I did have a need, I think the more creative you are with the box, the better the chance of donations.

Something like:

A creature that has it's head tilted back and it's mouth open (drop the donation in the mouth).

A box, just decorated won't have as big an impact and may be over looked.

·
Registered
916 Posts
We have given some thought to a donation box but didn't really like the idea of taking money from someone to support what is basically our out of control hobby. What we are planning on doing in 2009 (we are taking 2008 off) is setting up a donation box/area for our local SPCA (animal shelter).

·
Registered
323 Posts
We are doing one for the first time this year. Check with your home owners ins and be sure if you do that you will still be covered in the event of a claim against you. Now with that said. I am not sure if it works or not. But our haunt has gotten to big that we have to at least try and recover something. I should just be better with a budget....This is the one we built for this season. It serves 3 purposes. One it is our guest sign in podium. 2. our donation box and 3. A home for our zombie monster pop out...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
At our party we have a 'Tip' Jar at the Bar that is dontaed to Childrens Hospital and we usually get about $200.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,075 Posts
CHECK YOUR LOCAL AND STATE REGULATIONS BEFORE DOING IT!!!

Every state and locality is different...some won't care that you're doing this, some will. Play it safe when it comes to something like this, so the fun doesn't cause headaches down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd post it on here and try not to clutter the forums too much lol. I am looking at fund raising for the Kids Hospital here in Sask and I was looking for help with the donations box.

What I had in mind was building a podium like design that had a place to drop the money. Also I was thinking of making a grim reaper (or some kind of dummy) sit behind the donation box. After the money has gone through the top of the box a sensor activates a sound file and make it seem like it is the dummy behind the donation box is the one talking to them.

I'm not the best when it comes to electronics, I do know not to use the toaster while taking a bath lol. For a sensor I was thinking outdoor sensor light, but I'm lost after that point. I know many people here have used electronics in their props and I don't have a clue how to make them. I'm more of a plug in play or hook up wires kind of guy. Am I out of my league on this one? Any ideas?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I'm not the best when it comes to electronics, I do know not to use the toaster while taking a bath lol. For a sensor I was thinking outdoor sensor light, but I'm lost after that point. I know many people here have used electronics in their props and I don't have a clue how to make them. I'm more of a plug in play or hook up wires kind of guy. Am I out of my league on this one? Any ideas?
This would obviously use an IR beam trigger. As the money drops into the box, it blocks the beam, causing the sensor to trigger the device. There are instructions for doing this out there on the internet.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
We met with our insurance guy the moment we moved to Washington to review our policies for our haunt. Each year afterward we just keep adding coverage. It is so important not to do anything that might get a claim denied. One of the biggest is not giving the impression that your hobby is a business. No advertising or getting revenue (admissions or donations).

We do ask for canned food donations for our local food bank through Haunts Against Hunger.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
We do parties, not outdoor haunts. Tried it once and got about $20 even though everyone knows it's a huge expense. I can think that all our friends are total moochers or that it's well worth the financial burden to bring our friends together and create happy memories. Most days I think the latter, LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts