Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing our haunt for many years we never took donations but in these hard times i might put a donation box out this year. Do people really donate any thing. We have the occasional person wanting to give but we don't take it.we tell them, Them coming is payment enough and hope to see you next year. What do you think
:confused:

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Unfortunately, the advice given to me by my insurance agent is that if I take any money (donations or otherwise), my homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover me if anyone got injured going through my haunt. Taking money pushes you into a somewhat quasi business realm. And as we all know, insurance companies are always looking for an out :rolleyes:

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
We have never taken donations but are looking into taking donations for the local SPCA. We wont take anything for ourselves. We do this because it's fun but if we can help the local SPCA, that a plus!
That's a good question. I wonder if the homeowners insurance would have an issue if you don't keep any money for yourself but give it to a charity...

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I don't think it would it hurt to much to put a donation box out. I'v never sceen one done but there are ideas on halloween web pages about using one. I don't ever plan on using one unless it's for charity. I do a walk thorugh because it's fun and it inspires kids. It's also my christmas time so taking money isen't something I look forward to. Plus how many people have cash on them when they are taking there kids TOTing?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've never wanted to do a donation box, because hubby and I really do this for ourselves... the spectators (err, neighbors) are just the lucky recipients that get to watch it all... it just never did feel right to me. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Now here is the interesting question. If you have a garage sale and someone slips and falls, will your home owners insurance cover that? If the answer is yes, then I say instead of doing a donation box, just make some small trinket that you sell. It could even be over priced with a little sign stating that profit goes towards improving your display for next year.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hi naberhoodhaunts, The Professional haunts up our way here do do a donation box and each year the donations go to a different local charity.

There are a few home haunts in our area who have done the donation box and all proceeds go to the charity they've chosen. I've seen them choose, our local Hospice, Anne Davis Transistion house & Shelter for women etc.

I would definately be finding out about your insurance issues before proceeding, we live in a Sue happy world where people literally it seems go out of thier way "opportunists" to make a living by such malicious intent.

And I agree with Dixie and Terra wholeheartedly, on the doing it because they love to do it aspect, and it would feel like payment enough to have them come and all the positive comments just make you feel good inside:)

But if I were in simliar shoes I'd be with "Homestead" 150%:)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The folks that had a walkthru around the corner put out flyers for their haunt and worked it the weekend before Halloween as a food drive....they asked folks to bring a can of food as admission

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've been doing a non-profit haunted maze for 9 years.
We put out a donation box every year to help offset costs of building materials, etc. All money collected goes into a fund for next year's maze. We don't take a dime for anything & it hasn't been an issue. I'm not doing it for the money but, for the enjoyment of all that attend. Screams are payment enough.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone, Im not doing our haunt to make money if that was the case i would go pro to make money. i do it for the family it brings together and the smiles and screams from the tots. it just would be nice to have a little help with making the haunt better for next year. I would like to start doing something for the less fortunate the local food pantry is a great idea. any suggestions on how to start it all in motion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts