Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wanted to share a quick picture of a barrel pop up I built these last 2 days. This is my second year donating my time (and some materials) to a local non-profit organization that has been working for the last 8 years to restore a movie theatre in their town that was built in 1914 and hasn't played a movie for the last 25 years. Every year they host a "haunted" tour of the town. This year since the first stage of the theatre has been completed, the are able to actually show horror movies there once again.

I didn't have time to take any pictures of the guts, but I will. I got a great deal on the cylinder, but it was a bit of overkill for the application it is a 24 inch x 1 3/4" Bimba cylinder. I got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up. It was so tall in fact, I had to build an offset mount to allow the body to go all the way back in the barrel and have the lid close. A bit more work, but having him rocket 2 feet out of the barrel is awesome. it is activated by a $9 remote control 110 volt outlet setup. Air is being supplied from a 4 gallon Husky portable compressor.

This picture was taken from my phone, but you get the idea. He is actually going to be placed in an area where construction is not finished and will be placed amongst other barrels, wood and various debris. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome , talk about having the element of surprise in all the construction. Good to hear about the theater, especially in this economy. Do they show mostly horror flicks there? And if so, is he setting up permanent residence there? I've always thought that a pop up like that would be terrific in an old popcorn machine.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome , talk about having the element of surprise in all the construction. Good to hear about the theater, especially in this economy. Do they show mostly horror flicks there? And if so, is he setting up permanent residence there? I've always thought that a pop up like that would be terrific in an old popcorn machine.
It is amazing to see the progress they have made since this time last year. They have been raising money for 8 years. When I was there last Halloween, the theatre was no more than a shell. It is now a finished fully functioning theatre with all of the latest technology. The outside pretty much still looks the way it did outside of a few updates. It still even has the old style ticket booth. :)

He will not be set up there all year, but he is theirs now to use how ever they see fit. The popcorn machine would be awesome. Esp. if you could have some popcorn come up out of the machine with him. :rolleyes:

They actually do not show only horror movies, but they are just about every weekend in October outside of a few live shows being held there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts