Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've had a bunch of these dollar store plastic skulls around for awhile. They don't look the greatest so I decided to modify them a bit. Heres some pictures of what I did and how they turned out

I think I did pretty good for 1$ skulls, a bit of toilet paper, few cotton balls, paper mache mix and some paint!

I started by cutting out the eye sockets, nose and cutting the lower jaw out. Then I reglued the jaw with the teeth slightly open on the first skull and then wide open on the second skull. I used a glue gun to place the jaw where I wanted it.

Then I used some paper mache mixture with some toilet paper and let it dry overnight. The next day I started painting a few coats of watered down brown on the first skull and watered down grey on the second skull. After that dried I added some highlight colors like yellow and green on the teeth and greens on the skulls.

For the progress pics please go to my album
Halloween Forum - HoflyLoster's Album: Random

Thanks!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,521 Posts
Very cool! I wouldn't have guessed they were cheapy skulls under that! :cool:

I love the skulls themselves - we don't get ones that look that good at the dollar stores around here. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, an amazing transformation! I've been wanting to experiment with corpsing,and I think you may have just convinced me! (Plus, the Corona in the background is a nice touch! hehehe)

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Hugh difference from before to after! Like Frankie's Girl said, my Dollar doesn't have anything that looks as good as the original. Nice job, creeping them up several levels!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Outstanding

Great Job !! And here all this time I've been working on paper mache skulls, this is a much better idea, only wish I had a dollar store here in Japan. And I like the beer of choice too.... you've become a corpse skull master !

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Great work! It takes a lot of talent to make those cheap skulls look good!

MsM

·
Reaper Queen
8,819 Posts
those look great!! as others have said, the dollar stores here don't have skull that look that good to start, they are alot smaller than that, but even they would look good corpsed! (well--maybe betters more the word)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think these are my favorite projects people post! Dollar store skull that looks just as good as some of the more expensive "real" skulls - gives poor people hope for a better tomorrow... or something.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone! I think I'm going to make another 4-5 when I get a chance. They turned out alot better than what I was expecting!

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Nice job. You said you had them around for a while. Like how long? The only skulls I've seen over the past two years at our Dollar Trees are the ones that look like alien skulls. Anything on those would be an improvement unless you are going for an Area 51 theme.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen the skulls there for probably 3 years or more. Went in the store the other day and they were stocking up on some more for this Halloween season.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dollar store skulls look like crap they are small and have stupid squareish eye sockets.........I still bought them though

·
Registered
5 Posts
In our neck of the woods (Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada), those skulls can be found at Dollarama. Very cool work. I'm using a bunch of them now, doing something similar and making a "tower of doom" pile of skulls to rest beside my throne.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol, yeah I think they have been drinking my corona, since I seem to find only empty bottles around here!

oh and yes, I got them from Dollarama. I'm from NS Canada. Not sure if there are dollarama's in US though. Maybe they have a sister company.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great Job!! I really wish I could do that!

I have seen them at two Dollar Trees in the US. Both the one here and in the neighboring town. I live in Louisiana.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts