Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Dollar Tree today at lunch searching out some cheap Halloween goodness when I found these. Just thought I'd pass them on as they look like they could be useful.

This is a single LED spotlight . Has a clamp on base with a swivel head. Throws a lot of light for it's size. Would be great for highlighting a smaller prop.

This one is a 9 volt LED light. The 9 volt is in the lower (pink) section and snaps right onto the light. Cool thing about it is that it turns on and off by standing it up, or laying it down. Oh, and if you shake it, it flickers....:rolleyes:

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I got a mess of those little clip-on lights a couple of years ago - they're great for prop highlighting. I pulled the white LEDs out of a few of them and swapped in ultrabright blues and greens. Only thing is that the batteries don't last long and are pricey. Most of them now have 3AAA battery packs attached so they last longer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
wow-just goes to show you if you have some imagination, you can find some great uses for everyday (and cheap) things! Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
yeah I love those clip-on ones. I bought tons of them last year...they are cheap, bright, and the batteries last forever.

I used them to highlight my giant spider on the roof; I didn't want to chance a floodlight falling on a ToT.
They are good for the money!

You can also adjust the focus by making a mini par can out of a film canister.
Im making them colored spotlights this year with green and blue Sharpie markers.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Hey, guess what....we have the clipons here too! Used one on the keyboard of the haunted organ. I also found little round lights on a head band that skiiers use. They were also just a dollar (well euro). They had a red cover that you could slide over the light and also flickered on and off.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find the pink one you mentioned here this year as well.

MsM

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great find. I might get some to spotlight some tombstones, and my witch, and maybe my vampire, and maybe...... this may get expensive! ( OH wait, they're only $1.00!!) :)

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
I got a mess of those little clip-on lights a couple of years ago - they're great for prop highlighting. I pulled the white LEDs out of a few of them and swapped in ultrabright blues and greens. Only thing is that the batteries don't last long and are pricey. Most of them now have 3AAA battery packs attached so they last longer.

Otaku, you need to check out DOLLAR TREE for batteries then. Look for the Sunbeam Alkaline Ultra Performance AG13, 1.5v, 8 pack there for $1. This is the size that fits the $1 clip on spot lights they sell. BTW the LED clip on lights come with a set of 3 AG13 batteries so you might not need additional batteries right a way.

To extend the life of my batteries I always remove them from all my halloween stuff after season and keep them stored in the house where it's cooler--I'm in California too and our garage gets pretty hot during the summer. I store most of my halloween stuff there during the rest of the year.

BTW I'm going to try using the matt black Krylon spray paint for plastics (that I bought last year to coat my fog chiller) and see if I can make the clip ons all black to better disquise them. I figure the lights are probably all cheap plastic anyway so hopefully it will work. I'm thinking I should try spraying a sponge brush and applying the paint that way for better control, either that or mask out the light lense cover. Has anyone painted their clip on lights yet?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just got back from a Dollar Tree run at lunch a little while ago. They also have 3-LED tap lights, which use 3 AAA batteries. These come with an adhesive backing. They look like small hockey pucks and come in various colors. I wiped out all 15 black ones they had. I think they will throw a lot more light than the single LED clip ons. I will try placing them on the ground in front of tombstones to light them. By tipping them toward the stone, they should pretty much disappear. Worst case I can make a light shield out of some cardstock and black duct tape.

I also grabbed 12 bags of the mini skulls some gargoyles and the small figurine busts. Ahhhh, the first Halloween purchase of the year always just feels soooooooooo right!

Eric

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got back from a Dollar Tree run at lunch a little while ago. They also have 3-LED tap lights, which use 3 AAA batteries. These come with an adhesive backing. They look like small hockey pucks and come in various colors. I wiped out all 15 black ones they had. I think they will throw a lot more light than the single LED clip ons. I will try placing them on the ground in front of tombstones to light them. By tipping them toward the stone, they should pretty much disappear. Worst case I can make a light shield out of some cardstock and black duct tape.

I also grabbed 12 bags of the mini skulls some gargoyles and the small figurine busts. Ahhhh, the first Halloween purchase of the year always just feels soooooooooo right!

Eric
Yeah, I have a couple of the 3 LED puck lights as well. We used them on our miner helmets last year and they worked really well too. I still think the single LED spots have it in the bag. I was very surprised by the amount of light they provide. I am thinking that the puck lights did not have as good of a pattern ? I have one handy. Maybe I'll snap a picture of the same tombstone tonight so we can compare. :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks. Even if they suck, I only have $15 into them so that's fine with me. I can always find some use for them. I bought a couple single clip on LED lights too, so I'll compare as well.

I love this forum! :cool:

Eric

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, here is the Dollar Tree 3 LED "puck" light. Uses 3 AAA batteries (not included) .

Here is the tombstone being lit by the puck light. Has a much smaller, but more even and round pattern. Not quite as intense as the single LED spot.

Here is the single LED spot under the same conditions for comparison. :)

I think either one of these would do a nice job depending on the conditions and placement. One last picture. This was the 1 LED at about 3 feet from Donna. Notice it casts very little light around itself. I think these would be very easy to conceal in the dark. The puck light is equally inconspicuous. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the pics Diabolik! (I hope I spelled your name right, I can't type tonight for some reason....) I will definitely be buying some of those very soon! (both of them!)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts