Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow haunters and Halloween enthusiasts. A few months ago I was walking around my local dollar tree and something caught my eye, a battery operated LED tapered candle. So I bought a pack and some aaa batteries, put the batteries in, then found out the horrible truth. They were bright white LEDs. Bummer. Guess I should have paid closer attention to the packaging.

LEDCandle.jpg LEDCandle 2.jpg

So I decided to take one apart to see how it worked and how hard it would be to switch out the LEDs. Fantastic news, it was super easy. So for about $1 (including the battery and a flicker LED), and about a minute of your time, you too can have a flicker LED tapered candle.

Here is a video I made showing how to modify this candle and switch out the LEDs.

I also started a blog in case anyone is interested. You can view it here: http://www.trianglehaunter.com

Enjoy.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Thanks for the Tutorial...you are my hero! I bought some of those candles at the end of last year and discovered the same thing. So this will be helpful!

BTW the larger tapers DT has are yellow light so I was shocked when I put batteries in these to find a different colored flame....just watched your video and saw that you bought the tapers too!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are quite welcome Ghost of Spookie. Yea, I got so excited when I saw the tall taper candle. I bought that one first, saw it was a flicker LED, and got excited when I saw the smaller ones. Didn't even read the packaging, just assumed that it was also flicker. Imagine my disappointment when I saw that it wasn't. So the haunter in me thought, "Ok, how can I hack this?" As soon as I saw how easy and inexpensive it was, I had to pass this on to my fellow haunters and Halloween enthusiasts.

My next step is to try and put the hot glue on it to make it appear as dripped wax and see how it turns out.

Oh the possibilities...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts