Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I snatched up about 10 of these from Dollar Tree and thought I'd share my ideas with them. You all have brilliant minds, so I'm sure you can figure out some pretty amazing things to do with these!

I think the idea in that one is pretty obvious - use the cooler as a base for stones.

But the lids! OH! The lids! I wish I had seen this sooner!

Can you imagine these for mausoleum stones (is that even what they're called?)?

I'm pretty stoked about this, thought I'd spread the word :eek:

Attachments

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
Mausoleum for the lids....genius! I always saw these and thought just how many upside cooler tombstones could I make? But so worth it for the lids. Theres a thread here on the forum called" show us your stones" and "your cemetery". Search for them ad have plenty of time, its a thread dating back from 1950's forward. (JK!!);) But there are hundreds of stones and hundreds of ideas.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I made this last year for my butcher scene, out of great stuff and a dollar tree cooler:

I also made these out of dollar tree coolers and UV paint. They're filled with ice and beers, and all the beers have the labels swapped for mad scientist labels, like "truth tonic" and "zombie virus." I wasn't all that happy with these to be honest, so I ended up discarding them after the party. Still, they were fun to make.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I made one a "vacancy" tombstone...

I just popped a blinking battery operated red light inside, and it looks really cool. I carved out the letters with an exacto knife, re-glued the inside shapes for the "A" letters (see the detail above), then glued a red transparent gel on the inside (but added a thin layer of white tissue paper to that with rubber cement to make it opaque).

The gargoyle was from Walgreens for something like $10.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Each time I return home to Ohio, I will remove however many of the coolers I have stashed up in the rafters of the garage of our old house that I can fit in the car & bring them back with me. Luckily my sister bought the house. Already told her I was taking some of them.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi mpatch! I glued some PVC pipe to the back of mine and slid it over some rebar that was tapped into the ground. Worked well, but this year I'm moving my cemetery to the front of my house so I have to rethink that (the stones will be visible from all directions). Should work if I move the PVC pipe to the inside, though!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Frankie's Girl

I'm sure that the last photo you posted got swapped on your hosting site so it doesn't match anymore. What is that costume? It looks like a Creature Reacher, but not one I've ever seen.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
Excellent find and idea there. I need to upgrade my tombstone bases this year. I've one if these as a vortex fog chiller before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do y'all use to paint the tombstones? I did one with monster mud but didn't know if there was anything cheaper or better to use

·
Registered
245 Posts
XrayMom, I used cheap black or gray spray paint....if you want the cooler to look old and weathered, use more (it melts the styrofoam) but be careful not to do so much you get holes in the cooler.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can use Dry Lok its found in the paint dept. it looks like stone when dry ( you have to get the grey ) nice thing about it is it also provides protection from moisture. It's not cheap tho

1 - 20 of 21 Posts