Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Interesting! My first thought was that DT might just dissolve the FD stores, but it seems like opening their price range would make more sense. Then they'd be more like the "Deals" stores.

I wonder what their Halloween stock will be like after the buyout (next year, since it probably won't affect this year if the stock has already been ordered).

Our FD is horrible. There's barely anything on the shelves, unless you want toiletries or kitchen items. I helped set up our store back in 1991, and it was great! Then they moved locations, and it's just gone a little more downhill every year. They hardly had anything at all for Halloween last year, and really didn't even have anything for Christmas.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
That explains the store closing signs I saw on two Family Dollar stores I passed on Saturday. I drive by another on my way to work, I'll have to see if it has a closing sign too. I'll post an update tonight.

·
Registered
502 Posts
the family dollar near where I work is closing too.....but the whole plaza that it's in is pretty much dead, so I figured it had something to do with that....

I'll have to check the family dollar closer to my home to see if it's closing too....

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Gee, sounds interesting. We have a great Family Dollar about five miles from my house. The little town it's in has an IGA grocery store, a few restaurants and nothing else, so hoping we don't lose it. Of course there is a new Dollar General going in about 7 or eight miles away from FD (and also in the middle of nowhere), so it will be interesting to see what the coming weeks will bring.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
FD is always like 50 cents more expensive than DG, we also have a FD closing in our town, they were having a everything must go even fixtures sale.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought of the forum when I saw this story, too! I guess we're lucky in that our FD locations are pretty good. They never have a very big seasonal section, but the stores are good size, well stocked, etc. We have a couple of the larger DTs, and a couple of smaller ones, so it makes me wonder how they're going to disperse any product, and if their pricing will change. We don't have 99 cent stores, so Dollar Tree is our main option here.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Charlotte Observer is reporting that Dollar Tree intends to keep operating the stores as they are now, although some Family Dollar Stores could become Dollar Trees and vice versa. I live near Charlotte, the home of Family Dollar, and the company has been in the local news quite a bit lately due to a large shareholder seeking to oust the chairman and sell the company.

·
Registered
393 Posts
One of the two FD locations in my area has everything in the store on sale. Definitely worth checking out. I got a few things there at decent prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts