Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went into the Dollar Tree to look for things for my Secret Reaper Victim. I came across some skulls on a stand, about baseball size that were OK. Once I saw the battery operated tapered candles, decided to glue them together and give them a face lift. The candles are easy to take apart, so I glued the stands to the top of the skull. The candle itself needed more drips so gave it the old glue gun treatment.

candle1.jpg

After the glue dried, I sprayed with orange peel to give it textured as I am going for antique brass look.

candle2.jpg

I sprayed them with gold spray paint and then started to cover them with a black wash

candle3.jpg

I wanted to give it a really good coat of the black to help the texture come out with the next step

candle4.jpg

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dry brushed on emperor's gold, it is an antique like brass color but a bit brighter. You can see it on the lower half

candle5.jpg

After dry brushing the whole thing and weathering the candle a little, I am super happy with the results for $2 plus paint

candle6.jpg

candle7.jpg

Here is a close up of the base so you can see why I use the orange peel

candle8.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Beautiful work and great tutorial too. When I saw the first picture I thought they were wonderful and then you proceeded to make them even more awesome.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I love dollar store crafting and making cool things for a bargain!! What a great idea these are!! I've been adding drips to these same candles, but I haven't gotten the aged look like that down the whole length of the candle, what do you use for that? Stain? Or paint?

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love dollar store crafting and making cool things for a bargain!! What a great idea these are!! I've been adding drips to these same candles, but I haven't gotten the aged look like that down the whole length of the candle, what do you use for that? Stain? Or paint?
I just used a watered down brown and let it get in to the wax part and carefully dab off the rest with a towel so it is not too brown

1 - 18 of 18 Posts