Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of doing the scene from the ride where the pirates in a cell, are trying to get the key from the dog.
I can have some co workers build a plastic pvc jail cell facade. I can then pose these two after making some sort of mount to hold the pose. Get a skeleton dog and have him hold the keys. For the frame I was going to use some good poseable wire. PVC might be hard to pose without having some spiderhill accessories. I kinda wanna keep the frame hidden as much as I can and create the poses I need. They will be kneeling and reaching through the PVC bars. These two have the jemmytalk board in them.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,156 Posts
I have furniture bench piece at the entrance of my home that keeps shoes in the bench and it has high top. Just to give you ideas of how I did it. You can't see the dog here. It has to be a big skeleton dog so its noticeable, and large keys. The pvc went from roof to the bench. I should have painted the pvc but ran out time.

DSC_0222-3.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Love it!! Great job!! I have only set up this scene as a static display before...are those just pose and stay type skeletons you added the jemmytalk board into from jman? Maybe next year this will be in my skill set!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love it!! Great job!! I have only set up this scene as a static display before...are those just pose and stay type skeletons you added the jemmytalk board into from jman? Maybe next year this will be in my skill set!!
The bodies are pose n stay. I took the head off and used one from a talking gemmy type skull retro fitted with a Jemmy talk board. Just so you know , I'm not very talented at building stuff. So, the Jemmy talk retro fit was right up my alley. Pretty simple and gives great results till you are ready to go full on servo skulls. I might be ready for that step in a few years, but for now Jemmy talk is the way for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
where did you get the jemmy talking skulls from? ebay? I might be ready to try a retrofit closer to halloween :) right now i'm just trying to learn prop motor mechanics!! My cauldron creep skull (that I'm building right now) will talk, but i had to buy a skull pre-made with a scary terrry board/servos in it because I'm such a beginner (i also had to go to the hardware store 6 different times with 2 different sets of plans and my own change ideas-just to build the frame the way i wanted it to be able to move...that's how beginner I am!!! hahaha!!)...I am in awe of those who can do so much!! I need some one to teach me in person!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you do is this...I went on eBay and found some of the cheap talking skulls that say generic phrases. You know, the kind you find at Walmart-target-Walgreens etc. they run around 20bucks if you find some that don't say they are collectibles. They usually trigger by sound or light. Then you open it remove the old board following the Jemmy talk board directions. It's usually only about 6wires. Super simple and a great way to start adding your own talking skulls. No need to buy an expensive one (if you do I reccomend buying from audioservocontroller) I have one from ASC also. But don't be intimidated, if I can do it believe me anyone can. Once you do one you'll probably be looking to do more. If you need help there's plenty of assistance offered here. I would also suggest that if/when you do open one up I always tape or hot glue the wires from the battery pack and to the motor to the inside of the skull so I don't accidently pull them off where they are soldered on the motor or battery pack. Their usually cheap wires or not soldered that great. It just helps prevent an accident.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am starting to get some clothing finds on this guy. Still need some belts. I wanted to show how I made it a bit easier to pose these. I simply screwed some scrap 2x4 to the top of my wood storage shelf then just hung them by some bungee cords. It made it much easier to pose them. And it's gonna be a snap to take the wood down.
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still need more clothes and some straight white wig hair for the one kneeling with the red bandana on. Lots of lighting and belts to find still too. We will be building several of the props at my job. So I have to picture these guys in the cell. It will only be the two kneeling plus one more I still nee do stand and cloth. The one with the sword and the leering skeleton will be in two different scenes. I'm trying to build all the Pirates at home and take them their a couple weeks before we set up.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Played around with a little flood lighting today. It won't look like this when set up but had to play around with the leering skeleton linkage. I used the kit off of my spiderhill prop and mounted it to the top of the barrel. It's pretty ugly but it works. I think I'm going to add a PWM to the wiper motor to quiet things down. If I remember, with the spiderhill prop I couldn't hear the wiper motor at all. At least I don't remember hearing anything from the motor.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts