Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know related a story today of how, one Halloween night a few years ago, a mother dropped off her kid for TOT at the end of his driveway not knowing that my buddy's Mastiff was loose in the yard. Well, the kid was dressed as a Werewolf. By the time adults could intervene the dog had the "Werewolf" cornered and was slowly closing in. Needless to say, the kid was severely traumatized. My buddy was living on a three acre spread where dogs were allowed to roam freely. Harsh words were exchanged, but it could have been pretty ugly.
Any of you have any dog related Halloween experiences?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Poor kid, that must have been frightening! No stories like that, but since I'm doing a party at someone else's place, we're trying to decide what to do with her dogs (great dane & jug). I love seeing the pet costumes, but not really fair to be having a house horse squeezing through a room of people, or worse, have someone bit by the little one because the dog is frightened.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
My family had a small beagle mutt, she was a runt so she never got to be much more than 20 lbs and was just cute and fun lovin', and had one hell of a bark that would certainly frighten you if you weren't expecting it.

But she also had a terrible experience with a little kid who didn't know better, and had pulled harshly on her fur, ears and tail. Since that incident, she would growl and bark angrily to get kids under 5 away from her and if they didn't go she would bite at them. Because of her fear of small children hurting her and the possibility that she might bite someone, we never really had her out of the house on Halloween night.
She did love to follow around outside during the builds though and liked to play on the porch when we enclosed it.

As for any other "dogs", one year we had a Hades theme and had a friend of the family dressed as Cerberus. He'd sit really still until the kids got their candy, then let out a bark and chase them off the porch. He was tied down with some chain meant for hanging large stained glass lamps, and a few kids who caught onto this would taunt him and run to where it was safe.
Eventually the brats started kicking at him and when he went to chase them in anger he managed to break the chain. My mom told him if they come back to chase them as far as he wants to. They came back, kicked him in the face and ran to the safe area, turned around and realized the chain wasn't stopping him. I don't think they have ever been back to the house since.

Sometimes a large dog in the right setting can be a good way to make bratty kids behave, but I think a leash may be in order, and if its a poorly trained dog, keep it away from the ToTs and possibly the haunt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
On Halloween night we keep our dogs inside and we sit outside and pass out candy. I trust our dogs a LOT more than I trust people, and personally don't think it's fair to the dog to put it in possible harms way and risk that it might feel the need to defend itself. I don't want our dog to even consider biting someone, and I also don't want a lawsuit. :D

On the night of our party, we always take the dogs over to our daughter and SIL's house. Their two dogs keep our dogs company that night, and then we don't need to worry about a guest being afraid of dogs, or of someone else inadvertantly letting them loose. Just not worth the risk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts